Best Bike for the money

DSmitty

Jan 13, 2013
Looking to get a new bike for next elk season. I have been looking at Specialized and Giant but they can get pretty spendy. I'm prepared to buy one in this price range but is there another brand out there that would keep more money in my pocket?

D, keep me posted if no one replies!  I'm also looking to get back into a bike!  When I was doing it about ten years ago, I had A Specialized Stumpjumper!  Great bike but man are they spendy now!!  Still looking at Specialized, Giant, or Trek!

I had a mongoose and loved it. Sold it for a custom trail bike, but it's no good for hunting, so am thinking about getting a trade going myself. The Mongoose was a great bike. Don't know what is available now though, as I haven't been looking for a while.  Just don't skimp on breaks and gearing. If you are going to ride hard in the woods and get them dirty, they are the difference between a good day and a crummy one.

I have an older American made Cannondale, and my wife has a Trek. I used to race Mountain bikes for fun. The Cannondale fit beautifully, had great geometry, front suspension and is an awesome off road bike. My wifes bike was over half the price, but is a great bike.
Most of todays bikes are made overseas, have shimano components. the biggest differences are in the frame materials Steel, alum, carbon, and some titanium. Aluminum being the value compromise of weight and $.
The big differences are in the components (shifters, derailers, brakes, crankset)
I would suggest getting an alum frame bike with serviceable shimano components, and front suspension. Make sure it fits!
You could find a good used bike for less than $500
When People used to ask me about how much to spend on a bike, my answer was:
Don't spend more then the miles you will put on in a year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back