Best Excersises to get into Hunting Shape

Nimrod

Jan 31, 2013
What do you think the best excersises that a person can do to get into good shape for the hunts?

Jeff

Search the posts on this section. Lots of different opinions and options. I think you will find what you are looking for.

Weights: squats, deadlifts and lunges
Cardio: running, hiking, biking, crossfit, swimming, HIIT (high intensity interval training)

More importantly than any specific exercise is just do something to get your heart rate up, and build strength and endurance.

eating lots of donuts will help......JK. LOL

Hiking is great - don't stick to the trails, hike the steep stuff. Practice your side-hilling.

I would add jumping rope to this list.  I don't know of a faster way to blast you leg muscles.  Plus you can get an exausting work out done in about 15 mins and a jump rope costs about $2 at a thrift store.

I'm 55 in January and have had some good success doing eliptical workouts for 20 minutes that are negative rest cycles. 30 seconds as 100 cycles per minute then 1 minutes at 200 cycles per minutes. Then on to the leg press. Body weight negative rest cycles. 90 seconds as many reps as possible, 60 seconds rest repeat 5-6 times. light to moderate upperbody workouts.

Build strength and endurance. Squats, lunges, wall squats, treadmill with an incline, actual hiking if possible, eliptical, stair machines, mt biking. They all do well the key is consistency and give yourself 90 plus days before season to yield benefits. Also buy a heart rate monitor so you can actually see how hard you are working.

Love me some kettle bells and medicine balls. I take them into basketball court and put them in corners across from each other. I start with 12-15 reps of 2 arm swings with the kettles and then run across the court to the medicine ball and do 12-15 squat tosses. Then back to the swings. This time when I get to the ball I do 12-15 tomahawks throws. You would be surprised how much you feel this in tour lats the next day. Then back to the swings, the squat tosses, swings and finally tomahawks. I do this routine 2 or 3 times and it really gets the heart going. Im lucky and my girlfriend loves to lift with me, so we always have a partner and do lots of circuit training on the weights. When I hike or anything like that, even mow the lawn, I carry a weighted pack. I have been in great shape before but didn't prepare to have weight on and it ran me into the ground. I usually tie on a 40 or 50 lb bag of dog food.

Hi Nimrod
Over the past couple years I've been doing the "Marsoc Short Card" workout over the summer to get ready for hunting season. If you Google it it should bring up a PDF that shows you the activities to follow over ten weeks. It usually takes me alot longer than that to complete.

I usually start building for it in early Spring by getting re familiar with it and completing a "half a card" -light and easy. I substitiute riding a bike for swimming during this because the public pools are closed and I don't have easy access to one. I'll start doing the "full card" (the complete required distances) in about mid June with a target finish date of Labor Day. That gives me some extra weeks in case something comes up to take me off plan, work, a sprain etc. The extra weeks are also good in case I "crash" a week and need to re do the excerises to get better. I try and stay closeto the alloted times but if I blow one of the longer hike times by a few minutes I'm ok with it.

A few more tips on it.

Go see a doctor to make sure your "good to go" before starting this workout.

Talk a buddy into doing it with you. It gets monotonus especially pack hiking in the later stages. With a buddy you can cross motivate each other.

When you get the calisthenics down to where they are easy, say doing them all in 20 minutes, start adding reps to them to get it back up to 30 minutes.

The swimming is the weakest link for me. I sometimes substitute bike riding for swimming if I can't get access to a pool. I try and bike double the swimming time if biking.

THis one gets tedious as the months go on, my season is done and  a burpee just sounds replusive right now.And IPOD with a some good tunes and a elk bugle or two thrown in help ALOT. Follow the schedule as best you can with a healthy diet and you'll be amazed at the results.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back