Best load for a 7 mag

i used to use a 160gr SPBT on top of 60 gr of IMR 4831

I shot nosler accubonds this year. Better groups cheaper than partitions, only things this year on the deer they didn't expand at all. Even tried different grains. 

If you are not going to load them yourself than purchase multiple brands (Fed, Win, Rem, Nosler, Barns, etc).  I would say 160 gr or more and shoot them for group.  Clean every 3-4 shots inbetween manufacturers.
I used my 7mm on Moose this year and found the old 175 grain Rem Core Loc's shot the best groups at 300 yds out of my gun as an over the counter round.  Since then I have been experimenting with various bullets and have not yet decided on what to go with.

My Rem 7 Mag loves 160 grain Grandslams from Speer.  I hand load with IMR 4831 and CCI mag. primers. This one of best I had for results and will keep using for hunting. The problem is I have to use copper bullets here in California. I use Barnes bullets, I have some old blue coated 160 grains and shoot very good ,too.

I shoot 168 berger vlds 69.5 grains retumbo .316 groups at 100 yds rings steel out to 900 just fine
My brother shoots same bullet 70 grains and has to load to a different length
Best to reload specific to you gun as other loads my not perform to the best ability of your gun

Matt Brimmer said:
If you are not going to load them yourself than purchase multiple brands (Fed, Win, Rem, Nosler, Barns, etc).  I would say 160 gr or more and shoot them for group.  Clean every 3-4 shots inbetween manufacturers.
I used my 7mm on Moose this year and found the old 175 grain Rem Core Loc's shot the best groups at 300 yds out of my gun as an over the counter round.  Since then I have been experimenting with various bullets and have not yet decided on what to go with.

Just for reference - Core-loct bullets are junk. They explode and do not penetrate..... Shot them in a 7 mag and a 338 mag.

THEBUGLER said:
Just for reference - Core-loct bullets are junk. They explode and do not penetrate..... Shot them in a 7 mag and a 338 mag.
Depends on how fast they're going. If you run them through a magnum at magnum velocities the, yeah they'll come apart. I've never heard of a 175 grain Corelok coming apart through a 7mm Rem mag but could see how it might happen. It's still a stouter bullet than SST's and the Berger bullets.

My advice is a 160 grain bonded bullet of whatever variety your rifle likes (Sciroocos, Accubonds, Interbonds, Trophy bonded...) or the good old Partition and go kill something.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back