Biggest Mistake of 2012

I would say i had called when i was too far out. should have gotten in tighter. i challenged and the bull rounded up his cows and left.  I keep learning from my mistakes.

Ron Niziolek said:
I'd have to say lack of adequate physical conditioning for the vertical terrain and elevation.

Same for me. Totally underestimated how out of shape I was cardio wise. Too much huffing and puffing. Will work on improving for 2013.

I also regret not allocating more time for myself to hunt.

- Rudy

Mine was not shooting a 4ft spike at 25 yards thinking i would find something better and the light was bad almost dark.

FemoralArchery said:
I made the mistake of not elk hunting. I drew a bear tag and decided to focus on that.

I agree, i drew a limited quota deer tag and spent all my time chasing mulies. Wish i would've taken time to go after elk.

My biggest mistake was spending the majority of my hunting vacation hunting for a monster 5x5 I have battled the past 2 seasons. He must have died over the Winter because I never found him in his usual haunts and never heard of him being taken the season before. He was a dandy and beat me in a small area where I have taken my 2 best bow bulls. Never bet all in on one bull unless it is worth it. In this case it was for me though I lost. No regrets!

My mistake was not judging the yardage again. Had the bull at like 35 yds but no shot, then he came in closer but I still had the 1st yardage in my mind and whiffed on a 20 yard shot... Last day too.

Rushing my shot on a bull instead of taking that extra second to settle my pin and pick a spot.  Ended up missing and not getting another chance :'(

not updating my sights.  had a branch antler at 67 yards just about 10 minutes too late and I could not see my pins.  At least I knew my calling worked since I pulled him from about 400 yards.

Two things bit me this year. Firs twas not taking enough time to wait for the right shot and taking a questionable shot at a spike bull. I was okay with the distance but was above him and he was quartering away just too far away and in a grove of aspen trees.

Second thing seems to be my calling. I have not had the problem in the past of getting some sort of response and this was a quiet year on the mountain as far as the elk talking at least where I was in Utah. I had a couple bulls that did not pay a lick of attention to our calls. They almost acted deaf. I have never seen them go about their business the way these bulls did but making a move to them was not happening where we were so needless to say I was unsuccessful with these bulls this day. Taking time to get used to the calls you will use on the mountain is more important than most think it is. I know some people are pros at it but doing the right thing at the right time can seal the deal and has for me a couple times just not this past season.

Calling to a bull, not heard or seen in front of us because that's where he was for several years in a row.  All the while a bull was going nuts behind us downwind.  You guessed it he came in and we never moved to get the wind right.

Hit a bull just a little high. Found blood and sat down, but I believe we didn't wait long enough and ended up walking him right out of the area. Two days of looking and never found him.

Not putting my stopper call in before setting up and calling in an elk. Wound up taking a walking shot and hit farther back than I like. Was able to retrieve the animal but had to back out for 8hrs before going back in after it. Won't make that mistake again.

Tried to draw at the wrong time and got busted.  I've watched tons of videos and it appears that thoe hunters get away with lots of movement when drawing their bows, I was not that lucky!

I drove in to a new public land spot early. Got parked and geared up, planning to walk a well traveled hiking trail then break off into a less traveled area where I expected my hunt to begin. However, with in 10 steps of my truck I glance ahead of me on the trail to see a good size cow quartering toward me at 40 yards. I didn't even have my release on yet. As I fumbled with my release, she turned broadside and moved casually up a draw. By the time I got my release on and had an arrow nocked she was out of range. She never presented again. Moral, don't start your walk in without your release on.

I decided to sit by a water hole in the evening of opening day archery.  I heard a animal coming so i got to my knees and got ready and a cow and calf moose showed up.  I watched them for a few minutes as they drank then they walked away above me.  It was fun to watch them and as they went away I realised my right foot was asleep so I sat down and was getting my circulation back.  I heard some noise behind me and told myself it had to be the moose and didnt think much of it.  I looked over to see a 360 bull elk.  I tried to move slow and be real quiet but he heard me move and had me busted.  He sidestepped out from behind a tree and was staring right at me.  I knew I was busted.  He trotted away and I tried to cow call him back. He stopped a couple of times and acted like he would come back but then turned and walked away.  My heart sunk and I cussed myself all the way back to camp. 

Not slowing down and picking my spot/Thinking i had a bull so close i couldn't miss.  Biggest mistake which cost me my best opportunity at tagging out this season.  We bugled the heard at daybreak and got into a big group with about 5-6 bulls bugling.  Realizing they were headed straight up to their beds i hot footed a loop downwind and dropped into the herd.  I was able to pull off a heavy horned 5x5 from the group with some excited cow calling.  The timber was so thick that i could hear the bull wheezing and breathing long before sight was possible.  I drew my bow knowing the bull was going to be on top of me when i had my opportunity.  Out he came from the thick fir tree in front of me and my last thought was "You're done" as a squeezed the trigger of my release. 
I watched in horror and disbelief as my arrow soared inches over his back and he blew out downhill about 45 yards into dog hair timber before stopping.  I was unable to convince him that he should come back up for a second look with subdued cow calls. 
Although I had several larger bulls at full draw later in the season, that right shot never lined up again.  I still see that shot replay in slow motion when my eyes close to blink. 
My lesson was that even when it doesn't seem like you can mess up a perfect moment, murphy's law is in effect and should be compensated for with good mechanics and concentration.  I believe this miss must have happened so I can bag the big guy next year when he's a mature 6x6.

It's hard for me to pick just one. I was in elk nearly everyday but never got a shot due to angles, wind, brush, etc.. I think my biggest downfall was not being aggressive enough earlier in the season and being too aggressive later in the season. Next year I need to focus more on moving into the elk vs. calling to them.

Giving up!!!  Once we were infiltrated with wolves and hunters the area was blown and so was my moral.  Looking back with only a couple of days left we should have stayed and out hunted them all.  It will never happen again that's for sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back