Boots

N8vanvalin

Dec 28, 2012
I am in the market for some new boots. I have terrible ankles so I need some with good ankle support. I also like lighter boots without a rigid sole. Any suggestions?

I was waiting for this question and I think it is totally a personal choice.  I have tried so many and have several that work for me, but it is a constant journey of pros/cons.  Weight versus warmth versus waterproof versus ankle support, etc.  I have had the best fit with Lowa GTX's, but they only last a couple of seasons.  I like the Kennetrek's for support and they are waterproof, but they are a bit heavy.  They are my preferred boot with a heavy pack.  I have Schnee's Pack Boots and they are a great company that stands behind their product.  I haven't found that ideal, early season "trail runner" type of boot that is light, waterproof, tough enough for those rock slides and supportive for heavy packing out.

Good luck with your own journey.

Rocky,
You had me very interested in your response until you said you haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.  I too am looking for that light weight early season footwear for the terrain you mention.

Anyone have recommendations?

I've used the Meindel lightweight boots from Cabelas and have been very impressed--they're around $200--but worth every penny. Two hunts with them so far-in the Colo mountains/rocks/snow-10-12000'--no problems and warm--Bill

Dplumlee,

I had to go check my truck where I had left my latest attempt and they are the Salomon GTX Hikers I believe and I used them last year.  The so far are fitting the bill of lightweight, Goretex, support, comfortable and a great sole/toe to stand up to the abuse of rocks.  I got them online at Sierra Trading Post for about $115 on a clearance sale, plus a discount for 1st purchase.  Others on another forum have highly recommended them.

For the 2012 season I bought a pair of Lowa GTX's early in the year so I could break them in and test them before my hunt. After many hikes on them with and without a pack I just didn't feel they were the boot for me. I ended up using my Danner Jackal's. I have bad ankles as well and for some reason this boot fit really well and gives me enough support. This last season I hiked roughly 70-80 miles in 10 days during our elk hunt. What surprised me most was that I never had any issues with the boot, no blisters, no wet feet (even after two days of rain) and no sore feet. The sole is pretty thin though and allows you to feel sticks and rocks underneath which came in very handy while stalking.

Even though I LOVE my Jackal's, next summer I think I'll give the SpeedFreak from UA a try.

Kenetrek!  Little spendy but once you buy a set, you will wonder why you didn't get them sooner!!!  I got the uninsulated mountain extremes!!  Great boot!!  I have even used them during winter hunts and as long as you stay moving with a good pair of socks, your feet don't get cold!!

Great question! I have gone through different boots for different climates and Ifinally found the Schnees Wilderness Boot. Great for just about any weather and I also needed great ankle support because of the hunting I do in rocky and sandy areas. They not only protected my feet for the past few months, but I put them through many rigorous hunts and they still look and feel great. They aren't cheap, but I don't ever recommend buying a boot that's cheap. Take care of your feet and you will be one happy hunter.

I have Kenetrek boots...Mountain Extreme 400's.  I would probably buy another pair but non-insulated for bowhunting.  I get a little warm when the weather is warm.  The only issue with Kenetreks is they will eat up your heel.  Not everyone suffers this I am sure, but I do and so do 3 of my hunting buddies...and we all wear boots in our profession.  The answer is really good socks or a sock/liner combo.  The footbed, water-profing, and comfort cannot be beat otherwise. 
Crispi's are nice too.

I have been using the Under Armour speed freaks for the past 2 seasons and have had good luck with them holding up, the only issue I have is they still smell like new boots ( plastic/rubber smell) I have tried everything from leaving them in a charcoal box to leaving them  outside in a tree and can not get rid of the smell- not sure if the new ones are the same but other than that they have been a good early season non insulated boot

I have Cabela's Canada Hunters by Meindl.  I love them, but they don't make them anymore.  They have other boots made by Meindl that have similar characteristics, and I bet they great.  I see someone else posted on the Cabelas/Meindl combination, so I support them. 

I too dont have the best feet and finally decided to ramp up and buy a high quality boot. I went thru Lathrop and sons and bought a pair of Hanwag Mountain Light GTX.  I didnt to the gold package with the foot tracings but so far this season they worked great.  You keep hearing people talk about top of the line boots but it really is true.  They just feel like part of your foot after you get them broken in. 

I agree that boots come down to personal preference and fit, but having tried LOTS of different boots at all different price ranges,  I have found that the Hanwag boots (www.lathropandsons.com) fit really well right out of the box.  I think you get what you pay for. I have the Mountain Lights, Trapper Elites and most recently got the Alaska GTX's that I am excited to wear this coming year.

They also have a lighter weight boot called the Cheyenne GTX that might fit the bill for light weight but would still give you good support.  I find that if I'm hauling a heavy load of elk  a stiffer 8" boot makes all the difference.

Good luck!

I've got 2 seasons on the Cabela's Denali boots by Meindl. They've held up great and have plenty of life. They are very light for early season hunting, but I've used them year around. I also replaced with insoles with the cork insoles that Meindl also makes for Cabela's and that helped the boot fit my foot even better. They have kept my ankles from rolling many times and they have a very rigid Vibram sole. I think they have everything you're looking for and are about the best bang for your buck.

I have always been a Danner fan I recently picked up a pair of expeditions and I love them...They are light with a ton of support. I backpack hunt so my boots have to be tough...Danner has aways fit the bill...

I also have bad ankles. I have used the Meindl Perfekt hikers for several years with excellent results and this last year I
purchased a pair of the HANWAG Alaskan GTXs from Lathrop and Sons. These are an excellent custom fit boot for early season, with VERY
good ankle support. Good luck on your search and if your feet don't go, you dont go.

I just got a pair of kenetrek mountain extreme 400s and I love these boots.  Great ankle support.  Only complaints you will ever hear about these boots are from people who went hiking in them before they were broken in.  They have a steel flange in the midsole and are stiff as hell out of the box(like snowboard boots).  Kenetrek recommends 50 miles of flat terrain walking before you even start to hike in them.

I'm a huge Danner fan and I wont wear anything else for work but when it comes to the hunting you need to pick the right boot or you may get those dreadful blisters on your heel. 

This year I researched boots for weeks and finally went with the Zamberlan 519 Dakota Boot GT RR.  Amazing handmade boot that are extremely light weight.  Took me a while to break them in but once i did they just turned out to be the best hunting boot i have owned.  They are a bit spendy, well when i bought them before hunting season 2012 they were around 330.00 but now i see they are around 224.00 which is a great price reduction for an outstanding boot.

+1 for Kenetreks! But I think you would be happy with any of that style of boot. Meindl, Crispi, Lanthrop and Sons, Lowa
I used to be a Danner guy but they need to go in the direction of the listed boots before I would consider going back..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back