Bow froze HELP!!

tn ehunter

Feb 8, 2016
What can I do to keep a bow from freezing up. This last Jan I was elk hunting in KY and it misted rain,sleeted and snowed on me all in one afternoon then right at closing time I had a cow at 30 yards and my bow would not pull back. After 3 times trying to pull it back they finally saw my movement and it was gone. I have hunted in N Western NC with other bows and have no trouble but this one just would not pull back. After getting to my truck for a little bit it would work. Any and all info will be gladly taken.
Thanks
Dt in East TN
Eph.3:20
1st. Kings 21:3

What froze? I've bowhunted for almost 40 years ( dang I feel old) and have never had that happen. What kind of bow?

Have you ever had and issue during practice during similar conditions?  Doesn't sound like a bow issue as much as an adrenaline mixed with cold muscles.   
I was going to mention bow weight in the other thread, but looks like that is yours too.  Especially late season you want it to be super easy to draw just because of situations like that.  Freezing for hours without moving then trying to draw can be tough.

It is a Parker and it has a slide piece on the rod for the cables and the wheels on top and bottom. Sorry I don't know as much about the bows I haven't bow hunted hard in several years. But like I said it misted rain and sleeted and snowed on me from around 1:00 when I left the truck until I got back to the truck which was covered with ice at dark. It was Jan.16,2016 the day I was hunting in KY. While waiting I checked to see if I could pull the bow back and the slide that has the cables running on the side of the rod and it wouldn't move I mean I had to really work at it and finally got it to move so I had nothing but some vaseline and I put that on and got it to move and come to full draw. So I thought I had it working. I have hunted western NC in the freezing rain and wiped ice off my bow to shoot at deer but they worked one was a Bear Whitetail Hunter and the other was a Indian Warhawk which I never had that happen to me but they didn't have the rod with a slide to separate the cables. Someone said because of cold muscles but I have never had that happen before and it was cold but I had on 4 layers of fleece and I don't think that is what happened but I am looking for another bow and just look at it like this too. If I had took the shot I had two days before I wouldn't have been there in that weather but I had a had time seeing the pinand waited for another shot and the OLD lead cow saw my fletching move and nailed me in full gillie suit and bow blind. Had one coming toward me head on at 30yd just didn't turn before she barked and they got out of dodge. The one I started to shoot at stopped at 67yds I shot my 60 yd pin and shot just under it. This was a very big learning experience for me and I just am thankful to to LORD for Blessing me to hunt elk. There were  only 91nonresident hunters  out of about 13,000 and I doubt I will ever get picked again. But it was something I will Never Forget. Back to the bow it just would not budge and I pulled hard and after the third try they finally saw my movement and ran off I had not oiled the bow at all maybe that was it the moisture got in and just froze I don't know but just want it NEVER TO HAPPEN AGAIN!!  Thanks DT n E TN.  Eph.3:20    1st. Kings 21:3

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back