Bull or Cow

EricB

Jan 3, 2013
Lets say season is just about over & your freezer is empty. 20 yds. away stand a cow and a spike bull.
Which one would you take & why ? Or neither ?

Spike, it doesn't have the effect on the herd like taking cows.  That being said my last few elk have been cows-don't judge me there wasn't a spike next to them.

Unfortunately for me I always come across the wrong sex for the tag I have. Example, I had a cow tag for muzzleloader this year and I called a bull to within 15 feet of me. Last time I had a rifle antler tag, I saw nothing but cows.

I would take the spike without a thought. I read some where that over her life a cow would give birth  to on average about 8 calves.  But if it is my only chance and the season is almost over, I will shoot the cow.  If given the option, always the spike. 

Hmmmmm I would go with which one would give me the best opportunity to release my arrow, that being said, I would go preferably for the spike, but if the cow gave me the opportunity then I'll take her, as the post indicated, your freezer is empty and I'll take whatever of the two gives me the chance, I don't want tag soup!

Thanks for the replies. I too would take the spike. I was expecting a couple responses like "the cow would have more meat  or the spike would be easier to pack out ! " Or how about the guy that just has to have horns to show off ?

If I really needed the meat, i would definitely take the cow otherwise it is Bull or Bust!

I would shoot the cow. I don't like shooting spikes. I have gone a few years without killing an elk because I passed on a spike. My thought is if I let the spike walk he will be a rag horn next year. I like seeing browntine bulls.

I am really new to elk hunting but I typically hold my standards too high and it usually ends up hurting me in the end......so I would say pass on both hoping for another opportunity at a larger bull.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back