Camp Cooking

n_idaho

Jan 21, 2013
What are you guys doing for food in your hunting camps?  I am teaching an outdoor cooking class this spring, and am looking for ideas and resources that any of you are willing share - websites, book recommendations, etc.  I am planning to cover a variety of methods, so anything is welcome. 

I have a decent amount of dutch oven experience, but am a learner as much as I am a teacher - I am always open to new ideas.  Any great recipe successes or terrible blow outs? Thanks!

I don't know if this will help you. but I am older 60, and I hunt from a base camp and prep all my dinners at home, vacuum seal them, and freeze them, I also have a freezer in the front of my Cargo Trailer for the food and to get our game back to Michigan.
This was the 2012 Elk camp Menu

Dinner

1M                Chili and corn bread       
1T                  Chicken Chop Suey and Rice
1W                Rib eye Steaks and baked potatoes
1TH              Chili Killie’s
1F                  BQ Ribs with baked potatoes and corn
1S                  Tacos
1Sun              Roast Beef with mashed potatoes gravy and corn                                   
1M                Ham with potatoes and green beans
1T                  Spaghetti and garlic bread
2W                Beef and noodles mashed potatoes and Rolls
2TH              Swiss steak with mashed potatoes gravy and corn                                           
2F                  Pork Chops and Sweet Potatoes
2S                  Sloppy Joes and Chips

Breakfast

French toast and sausage
                          Pancakes and Sausage                                                                               
                          Biscuits and gravy and Hash Browns
                          Scrambled eggs with ham and potatoes
                          Eggs, Bacon and hash browns

Kevin

A couple of my favorite are tinfoil dinners..  You can put basically anything you want in them.. just get a piece of tinfoil and I usually do raw hamburger, potatoes, asparagus, onions, seasonings and butter.. then wrap it all up and put it in the fire to cook, turning occasionally. Super good!! Or if you take an orange and cut off the top, take the orange out and eat it.. so that way you feel healthy for a few minutes.. and then mix up some cake mix and put it in the hollowed out orange and put the top back on and then wrap tight in tin foil and put it in the fire.. then you obviously unwrap and take the top off the orange and eat the cake.. it has a slight orange flavor and is super good!

For base camp meals, canned foods like beef stew, chili, chicken & dumplings.
instant mashed potatoes, stove top stuffing. canned veggies, anything that can be just warmed up, or boil some water and add ingredients, that doesnt need refrigerated. Fast food in the mountains is great.

The orange/cake idea is a new one for me - I'm stoked to try that out.  Thanks for the input!

Canned stews, Raviolli, Spaghetti, Maid Right sandwiches, Wild game meat, Salad, Beans and weiners, Hotdogs with chips, Mountain house, Vegetable soup and Snicker bars on occasion.

My class prepared the orange peel/cake in foil this morning.  Huge hit with the students!  We also cooked an egg in an onion with the same method.  Delicious.  Thanks for the recommendation Jen!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back