can calling in a muley

huntnmuleys

Jan 28, 2013
Called this buck away from his herd with a can call of all things. Id never seen a muley come to one, but last light was on me and nothing to lose. This was in south dakota, and is my biggest deer with traditional gear to date. Had 10 does and a tiny forkie harassing him, but decided to try for one more unseen doe....

Attachments

• 615111_378778192214828_1748303653_o-1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 85
Is that a forked horn or a 3x3? Either way its a sweet buck. Once my brother shot a 22" forked horn. Probably the coolest deer I've ever seen. Nice buck man. I'm trying to get a mule deer with my bow still.

Did not think that would work.... I'm going to have to do my homework... going to try archery for mule deer this year in Nevada.  If I don't get lucky sitting a watering hole I'll have to get my stalk on....  seems like its going to be difficult.... 

been hunting muleys for years and have never heard of any body ever calling in a buck.have put this question out there on other sites and have not found any body before.have you called in any others or was this a one time thing?if so what can are you using?

This is the only time I've tried this, so no other situations to compare to. But I will say I was totally shocked. He's a 3x3or 4x4 if ya count eyeguards (some do some sont).

I have tried it in the past with no luck but had the buck i killed this year with my bow run at me like an antelope during the rut when he spotted me as he was chasing a doe.  Have had success on whitetails with a bleat can and decoy.  Have also heard of calling them with a fawn in distress call but have never tried it.

Calling in mule deer workspretty good. Especially if its a last resort. I have called in mule deer while coyote hunting. Also we do it every now and then just to if there are deer in the area. They always show themselves after you do a bleat or something like that.

He's a 3x3, actually has four on a side counting eyeguads. He's funny if ya get to see the rack up close, its really dark, and on one side has a top fork, the other a bottom fork. Strange.. but cool!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back