CO OTC Archery HELP!

frogr225

May 31, 2020
Moved to Denver about 10-years ago after being med-retired from Navy. Have 'hunted' elk for 7-years now on units 36, 37, 44, 45, 55 (2nd preference draw), and even 82.

Covered a LOT of miles and a LOT of vertical feet. Haven't seen an elk, almost never hear them. In fact, I've seen more moose, bear, deer, and even GOATS than elk!

Spend lots of time practicing archery, practicing calls (via Roe Hunting Resources), scouting on Google Earth & GoHunt. Putting in the work, but no results yet.

Just spent 2-hrs on GoHunt. Looking at 25, 26, and 35 (Flat-Tops & Castle-Peak Wilderness areas). Also considering 32 & 33 (completely different, further away, but better odds).

NOT looking for anyone's secret spot. Just looking for advice/guidance. Anyone have experience on 25, 26, 35? Love the idea of spot & stalk, early season, above tree-line. Also able to call if they are vocal.

Former Navy SEAL. Though med-retired, I'm still pretty 'fit.' Love being in the wilderness (hiking, camping, land-nav, etc.). Please advise....

I haven?t hunted any of those areas, but my advise would be to pick a unit and stick with it. You listed six units you have hunted over seven years. All of them have elk in them. You just need to find where the elk are. If you commit to an area, you?ll eventually learn it like the back of your hand and know where the elk are.

cohunter14 said:
I haven?t hunted any of those areas, but my advise would be to pick a unit and stick with it. You listed six units you have hunted over seven years. All of them have elk in them. You just need to find where the elk are. If you commit to an area, you?ll eventually learn it like the back of your hand and know where the elk are.

This, very much this... I used to hunt 45 quite a bit, but since they've gone away from fully OTC tags I haven't been back in there. There are elk, but the numbers have decreased a ton over the last few years. I'm also 0/6 on my archery hunts, but can usually get into elk every year and have multiple opportunities if I don't mess up.

Stay with it, and it'll happen. Find food/water/shelter and there will be animals.

25 can be packed with cattle.

I've hunted there twice for archery and once for rifle.  I stuck to the south side of the unit.  PM me if you want some more details. 

I'd say have multiple planned access points and cover a lot of ground until you get into good sign.  Haven't hunted 25, but hunted the Flat Tops plenty for rifle season.  If you hunt the south side of 25 up Coffee Pot road, you can access and hunt 34 easily enough as well (guessing in your first post you meant 32 and 34?...as 33 is a draw unit for public land).  Seen some good looking areas in 34, but never got into elk when I was up there mule deer hunting.
Hooyah...thanks for your service brother...Navy vet myself and had some great times training and working (VBSS/FPTT/SSDF) with the SEAL community!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back