COhunter14?s 2019 Rifle Elk Hunt

cohunter14

Administrator
Jul 10, 2017
Getting caught back up after spending some time in the high country for the 2nd rifle season in Colorado and figured I?d share the story here.

This was an odd year for us. As I alluded to in my archery recap, we were debating on calling an audible and changing our rifle hunting plans after the archery season. The archery season went well, but for multiple reasons we didn?t think it was going to be a good long-term spot to hunt for rifle season. After debating for a few weeks, we made the decision to switch it up and head back to a place we used to rifle hunt back in the day.

This place holds a special place in my heart. It?s where I first elk hunted at 12 years old, it?s where I shot my first elk, and it?s what ?elk country? was in my head for years before we switched it up and left this spot nine years ago. I won?t get into why we left as it?s a long story, but to say I was excited about going back would be an understatement. I was familiar with the area, but the plan was to hunt it a little different than we used to. We were going to be much more mobile via ATV and cover a bunch of ground with our eyes from glassing spots in hopes of spotting elk and making a plan from there. In prior years, we sat ground blinds in this area and, while we were successful, I thought we would give ourselves a much better opportunity for success by going this route.

I spent as much time as possible in the weeks leading up to the hunt e-scouting and coming up with plans. We needed lots of locations as we would have 5-6 guys in camp the whole time we were there.

We got all packed up on Thursday night with the plan to roll out early Friday morning. I had to pick up a buddy at the airport who was flying in from Texas and after grabbing him bright and early, we were headed to the high country where we were met with snow flurries before the skies cleared and the sun popped out. Having some fresh snow on the ground wasn?t a terrible thing!

Here is a picture of our camp.

e3acbfb2462b11d4376e270e9ac6609c.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back