Colorado 2020 archery hunt

Bruffolo135

Mar 24, 2020
Hey everyone, i'm new to the site and the forum.  I'm in the middle of planning an OTC elk hunt this fall in Colorado.  Im looking at units 301, 211,32, 64, 37, 371  I've elk hunted with an outfitter once before and the experience was awful  Just looking for some direction on where to start.  I don't need anyone's secret spot, just wondering if anyone has had some success in any of these units.  Thanks!

What was awful about the experience with the outfitter?

Also, what's your background, age, shape, hunting experience etc? I don't know anything about any of those units but 211. Short answer is you can find elk almost anywhere, but without knowing a bit more about yourself you could be setting yourself up for disappointment again.

I hunted 5 days and he was late 3 different mornings, we hiked to the same knob and overlooked the same drainage every morning and evening.  We came out for lunch the last 2 days and I wanted to stay in and maximize my time in the woods.  Didn't see and elk in 5 days, and I know that's hunting but I felt to not be up on our feet moving around and maximizing our potential was a mistake. 

I'm 27 and the guy I'm hunting with is 28,  we're both in good shape, we've both hunted elk once.  Were not looking to shoot a 350' bull,  would like to be successful whether it's a cow or bull.  At the end of the day I'm just looking out and enjoy a week and a half away from work with the chance of some success

Cool, I was only asking because I've been bow hunting for elk for 6 years now and still haven't notched a tag. Every year I've had at least 1 good opportunity but I've made some mistake on setup etc. I hunt solo so I've made a lot of mistakes and have learned a ton.

If the goal is to have a good time and enjoy being outside with the chance to see an elk, any of those will be good. Find some basins on OnX, find food, water, shelter and you will run into elk at some point. Have multiple options and don't commit to one area, be mobile if you aren't seeing them or seeing sign. That has been the biggest thing I've learned, don't backpack into a spot that takes a full day to get to because then you're stuck if the elk aren't there.

Welcome to the site! I don't have any experience with those units either, but everything Elk Noob said is excellent advice. If you really want to dig deep, do some research on E-Scouting from Randy Newberg or take a look at Corey's University of Elk Hunting course here on Elk101. Ton of information in there. Good luck!

I always think of the show "Mantracker" and the guy always said "Know your land, Know your pray". That means a lot!
The land; Cover ground, knowing where the north facing dark timber, aspen thickets, wallows, food fields and water will cover the land. Also,most elk I have hunted move down at night and up in the morning.
The prey; LEARN TO CALL! USE THE WIND! some may disagree with this one but I believe two hunters with one shooting and one calling is deadly on elk. Hunt all day if you can. If you are not seeing or hearing elk then move.

This is short but I believe it covers what I focus on.

Appreciate the advice everyone!  Looks like I had a typo in my original post, I was looking at unit 21 instead of 211.  I have 2 preference points so I applied for a muzzleloader tag there.  If I got the tag ill also be able to hunt in 22,30,31,32. I'm definitely do the online elk university.  I'm sure that'll be quite helpful

Found out I drew the muzzleloader tag I applied for!  Looks like i'll be in units 21,31,30,32.  If anyone has any info they'd like to pass on that would be awesome,  my buddy can't go on the trip now so i'm probably looking at hunting alone which im sure will make it way more difficult.  Either way i'm pumped!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back