Colorado Elk Unit 42

coulton22

Feb 5, 2020
Thanks for checking out my post

My Dad recently purchased a drop camp self guided elk hunt for 4 of us in unit 42 in Colorado, without any research what so ever. It will be my dad, 16 year old brother, and 29 year old brother and myself. I've been on quite a few elk hunts but my 2 brothers have very little experience. So as of right now, we have the option to choose what season we'd like to hunt for elk. As far as all of us getting a bull tag it sounds like 2nd rifle is our best bet (don't trust my brothers with a bow in their hands). From the research i've done, it seems to be a low odds, high pressure, small elk area. Is it worth going through with it and spending the time and money to hunt this area or would we be better off selling the hunt to someone else? They all seem very optimistic about going on this hunt but I have a feeling we're going into a tough situation. Basically my dad and I are going to each have to stay with one of the brothers and hold their hand haha. My dad is 60 and is far from in shape. 

Depends on what you're looking for out of the hunt.

Are you looking for a good experience with your dad/brothers, but may not have many shot opportunities?

or

Are you looking for the best chance at tagging out?

If you're looking to tag out I'd probably sell this as it doesn't sound like you'll get what you're after. If you're looking for a good time with the possibility of getting on some elk I'd keep it. 2nd or 3rd season are OTC and your best option for getting 4 bull tags.

Great advice from Elk Noob. I would also add that there is plenty of time to prepare for the hunt! Your brothers could become great shots with a bow by then. Your father could get in good shape by then. You could teach them a ton about elk hunting between now and then.

It sounds like you all need to get on the same page heading into the hunt. If they are all optimistic, you might need to paint them a more realistic picture from someone with actual experience in elk hunting. And if they are excited about the challenge, they will be more inclined to practice shooting, get in shape, etc.

The Hunt Code for 42 also includes 41,52,411,421,521.

Based on last years stats, NonRes 1st Rifle bull tags went to the 2nd choice, so you should draw 1st choice if you want to try for bull tag

Id ask what unit you will actually be hunting in, and then do some more research

Id definitely look hard at the 1st Season, since the 2nd & 3rd are OTC

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back