Colorado OTC Archery - Unit 28

Oakleyrossi

Jun 7, 2020
All,

I relocated back to Colorado this past fall and looking forward to getting back into hunting larger game (its been 10+ years). I didn't get into the draw this year for various reasons so looking to do an OTC in unit 28. I realize that may not be the best OTC unit choice (low success rate, large number of hunters and location to the front range) however due to my location (I can have boots on the ground in the SW side in about 20 minutes which leads to some great NE facing terrain) That leads to multiple scouting trips (already been recently) and aside from some two scheduled hunts during Archery, I can also make a quick evening, bivy, morning hunts as time opens up as well. Any feedback to the south / west side of that unit would be much appreciate. Obvious not looking for anyones secrets but any advice or insight on that unit one could provide that would be great. This past weekend I saw some heavy timbered areas facing N.E.that look very appealing. At least to Elk anyways  :-o  Thank in advance and all the info I have gained in a short time on this forum has been much appreciated. 

Not a unit I would really hunt. I was in there last year a couple times and there is a ton of pressure and not a lot of Elk.

I got into elk, but the terrain they were in was nasty. Lots of blowdown/deadfall. It's also one of the closer units to me, so I may go back to my spot from last year at some point, but I would definitely look elsewhere, most of the hunters I talked to had not see anything.

Thanks for the info. Kind of what I figured. I am looking at a few other units as well but keeping an eye on 28 just do to the amount of time I can spend for scouting and quick access for additional hunt time.  The amount of deadfall/ blowdown was crazy for sure, but a couple of the areas I saw trudged through had obvious signs Elk have been in there. Getting one out of there may be a whole other story. Planning on scouting around another unit this weekend.

Haven't hunted 28, but your thinking isn't bad at all (in conjunction with other plans). 
I have some areas far from the front range that I hunt and that are noticeably better than areas within an hour of work/home, but I like having some areas scouted close to home just in case I can bust out of work early and get some short hunts in close to home.

Thanks. It's a debate I and probably overthinking at this point. Pick a unit with more minuses but I can spend twice to three times the amount of time in or pick a statistically better unit that time will be more limited.  I am in for the second draw now so that may help dictate what I do.  Thanks for all the feedback

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back