common courtesy?

solocamman87

Apr 23, 2014
Ok guys I'm gonna go on a rant tonight I'm hunting sitting on top of the mountain n I'm working this bull in n he's getting closer buggling back n forth at each other next thing I know it I see some guy walking towards me n is gonna head down the mountain I know he didn't see me that's understandable but when I stop him n say I'm working one in his response was me n my buddy have been coming here for a few years n we always hunt down there then tells me i'll make it quick down the mountain now I know it's public land everyone has the right to hunt there but come on man

Yeah bud, I feel ya.. Last weekend I was working a bull for a buddy, got him within 150yds and some ladmo decided to bugle( like crap) 300 yds above us from his atv.. Needless to say as soon as he bugled, the bull went silent and made his way back up the opposite ridge and was gone! I feel your pain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I just think that is part of hunting in overcrowded public areas. Last weekend I was down in a meadow calling for a guy. I got a bull talking / moving then within 5 minutes we heard 2 atvs coming from different directions on the trails above the meadow. Both proceeded to park their atvs and start blowing on their bugles. They then decided that if they switched their locations they might have more luck, so they fired up their atvs, moved a few hundred yards around the meadow and did it again two more times. We continued talking to / moving in on the bull for about 30 minutes. The shooter I was calling for ended up getting within about 25-40 yards of the bull in thick brush before it turned and ran for the hills due to all of the commotion.

This was my first year out elk hunting and that experience definitely made me realize that hunting away from motorized vehicle trails will be the only way I hunt moving forward. I realize it is public land and everyone has a right to hunt it, but that does not mean that common courtesy needs to be tossed to the wayside.

Next time you should just stop calling, let them move into the hole and start calling themselves. When the bull elk starts returning their calls move down into the hole, locate the bull from the conversation they are having with it, flank it and take it.

I will only hunt where motor vehicles cannot go. I cant imagine the sound of motor vehicles making a hunting experience anything but less enjoyable. I want to be in Elk country so I don't hear what I am stuck listening to every day in the city.

If I have to hike miles back and bivy hunt to get away from most of the people I am absolutely prepared to do so. Go and hike 4-6 miles from a road or trailhead in steep country and most other people are left behind.

Ya people these days where I was at there was no driving they have a gate it's by foot or horse back only I walked in there a ways it's just frustrating that he knew there was bulls down there buggling I was work one up the mountain he was only thinking about himself then neither of us got one cuz as soon as he started his way down the mountain u didn't hear anything they quit buggling n left

I'm pretty much with ChrisB. 

I only hunt in areas that are designated roadless or non-motorized.  Usually, its 1-2 hours of hiking into some place nasty before even starting to hunt/set up camp. The seclusion is what's important to me...however, that typically means packing the meat out is really going to hurt.

X2 what everyone said. All my best spots begin with 3-5 mile walk in the dark. Rarely do I deal with 2 legged "wolves". Go get em!

I hear you on the meat packing but worth it to get solitude and less skittish elk.

I train not only to hunt well but to turn into a pack horse if I am successful.

Arrows4Elk said:
I'm pretty much with ChrisB. 

I only hunt in areas that are designated roadless or non-motorized.  Usually, its 1-2 hours of hiking into some place nasty before even starting to hunt/set up camp. The seclusion is what's important to me...however, that typically means packing the meat out is really going to hurt.

So while hunting this year in Idaho I was hunting up through some timber and came upon a great looking spot with rubs and bull signs. I was looking for a place to set up when I noticed someone had set up a tree stand over it. No one was there, it was a Wednesday so I didn't know if it was a weekend hunter or what so I stayed to see what would happen.after about an hour with only about an hour of light left a young guy came walking in hitting his Buchimama. I asked if the stand was his and he said yes.I told him no worries,I would leave him to his hunt. He said I could stay there because I was there first, that was very nice of him but I said that he had taken the time to set up his stand there so he should hunt it.I wished him luck and left. He was a nice young man from PA, I hope he got one.

I hunt behind a lot of locked gates that are controlled by the department of lands. There isn't supposed to be any driving behind these gates unless you are working at the time. You aren't allowed behind them to hunt even if you have a key. But a few times a year I either see people on 4-wheelers or motorcycles and on several occasions over the years I have seen people "working" with rifles or bows from there truck behind a locked gate. We have reported them to the fish and game and they always take the info but I rarely hear about anything happening.

My Dad had to go testify in a court case once for this but the case was thrown out because the prosecuting attorney didn't bring the paperwork saying it was a state controlled gate and not just a private timber companies gate. Makes you wonder why go to the trouble to report it. The fish and game officer told my Dad not to worry too much about the guy getting off on this because the guy was a suspect in a moose poaching as well. That didn't make me feel any better about it.

A lot of people seem to think that if they can get a 4 wheeler around a gate that means they are allowed to ride behind it. Really irritates me when I hike in several miles or ride my mountain bike in and here comes some m&%*$r  f(*&!r  that is too lazy to hike in. All they do is run everything off and rarely if ever get off there 4 wheeler to actually hunt something. I guess they must be successful enough hunting that way to keep doing it.

It has also happened to me on hiking trails that are off limits to motorized vehicles but then it's usually motorcycles and it happens there a lot less often but it seems nowhere is immune.

I'm afraid common courtesy can be fairly uncommon. I saw a lady letting her three dogs run wild all over some prime habitat right after some bow hunters walked in. Yes, she saw the hunters walk in.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back