Cow call or bugle?

In peak rut do you find cow calls or bugles more effective at pulling in bulls?

• Cow call

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Bugle

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters

Idahoshedhead

Dec 29, 2012
In peak rut I have found a bugle to be way more effective in closing the gap on the bigger bulls.  How about you?

For me, closer to 60/40 bugling over cow calling.  My favorite is to mimic a cow with an immature sounding bull; it really seems to get both satellites and herd bulls interested in what is going on just out of the sight.

Jeremiah Johnson said:
Most definately a bugle here.........70/30 Bull calls to cows calls. Get in their face and be aggressive!

Im with ya! Just enough cow calls to let them know there's something worth fighting for. I hardly ever hear any cow talk when Im working a bull here in N- Idaho.......

I use a cow call more than anything. i will use a bugle to try and locate but from there it is all cow calls.

RockyMountainHi said:
For me, closer to 60/40 bugling over cow calling.  My favorite is to mimic a cow with an immature sounding bull; it really seems to get both satellites and herd bulls interested in what is going on just out of the sight.

I've used this technique myself in the past quite a bit.  However, this year I found myself bugling a little more than cow calling to heat things up.

At least 60/40, bugles/cow calling.

The majority of my setups are locate with a bugle, get in as tight as the terrain allows,  estrus whine, followed by challenge bugles.

The areas I tend to hunt have a little more pressure in them during archery season, so a cow call works better than the usual bugle.  I will give a slight bugle just to locate the bulls then work them in using different cow calls.  It works pretty good too when you have a partner that can call for you to bring them in broadside to you too.

I personally have had all my luck with cow calls....maybe that has to do with my bugling..lol.  The cow call is versitile as well....in the dry crunchy early season I will make sure the wind is right then not worry bout being quite...just throw out the cow calls occasionally and I have walked right up into the elk before.

Here in WA we never get to hunt the peak rut, we only dream about what it would be like  ;)  although I do find that I find more bulls while using a bugle then with a cow call no matter what the season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back