COW CALLING / BEARS??

ELK ASSASIN

Jan 26, 2013
Anyone else call in Bears or  Mtn.lions while calling elk with a cow call??

Here is a Black Bear I called in while trying to call in a bull elk( for photos ) with cow calls last october.

Attachments

• IMG_1114 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 5
Yeah on another thread posted about calling in a blackbear with my hyper hot cow call, came into about 30-35 yards.

Called in a Mountain Lion about 10 years ago in Utah. He disappeared into the brush never to be seen again. I spent the rest of the day looking over my shoulder and not really hunting. Not fun at all.

Glad I had a 243 with me for coyotes. It took 5 rounds ALL HIT HIM to finaly get him down. My best bear so far, other than my Alaskan Brown Bear.

I've literally called in dozens of bears over the years while elk hunting.  Seems we kill several a year simply by circumstance!  If they are coming to elk calls, they are overpopulated :)

I called two into 15 yards last year with cow calls. Came in straight at me and I never could shoot, so I told them to get outta there. Too close for comfort when they wont turn broadside.

Last season I called a cougar to 15 feet. He came through the woods as fast as lightning, and never made a single sound - literally did not rustle a leaf - and I was in thick woods. Scared the bejesus out of me, I'm not ashamed to admit. He stared at me with ice cold eyes for about 10 seconds before growing tired of me and walking back up the trail he came from - he certainly wasn't afraid. One of the most amazing experiences of my life.

Not sure if we called it in, it was about an hour since we had called but shot at 20 yards.

Attachments

• cat 2.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 4
I've called in several black bear while walking around cow calling.  Last year I had a Mountain lion run across the trail in front of me at about 30 yards.  I never saw nor heard the lion but my dad was behind me and called over to me while drawing his side arm so i hustled back to where he was and got the news.  I think it's good policy to know we are calling to sound like a good lay for big bulls, but also a good meal for the forest carnivores.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back