Cow Calling

Swede

Mar 4, 2014
Cow Calling

Postby Swede ? Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:02 am ?  [Post 1]

There is a lot of discussion and even some training on how to bugle for elk. I have a couple of old Larry D. Jones audio tapes and went to one of his seminars in 1991. The troupe of people following what he started and building on it is fairly large. There is a sizable industry building and selling bugles and associated equipment. With that said, I have a simple question. Except for simply locating elk, would the average hunter be better off just cow calling? Why or why not?
Swede Site Admin Posts: 481Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Cow Calling

Postby Stringunner ? Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:11 am ?  [Post 2]

I don\'t think so Swede. I\'m not a die hard believer in bugling is the only way, but I also don\'t believe just cow calls will get it done consistently either. There are some days where we cow call exclusively and do ok, and then there are days when we can\'t get a response to anything but bugling. I think the more versatile one can be in their calling strategies the better chances they will have depending on the situation presented.
Stringunner Calf Posts: 34Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:59 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Postby cnelk ? Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:51 am ?  [Post 3]

If I had to make a choice between only cow calling or only bugling, I would choose cow calling every time.

Nothing spoils a good elk hunt like killin\' an elk...
cnelk Site Admin Posts: 1097Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:04 pmLocation: N. ColoradoName: Brad

Postby bnsafe ? Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:21 am ?  [Post 4]

not enuf experience to give you a real answer, but beings my bugle sounds more like a hunter got his tool caught in his zipper i would say cow calling for me
bnsafe Herd Bull Posts: 474Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:20 pmLocation: n coloradoName: scott

Postby BTL ? Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:47 pm ?  [Post 5]

I have cow called in more elk than I have bugled...My hunting experience is limited and has been in the first part of September.
BTL Calf Posts: 35Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:15 amName: Brent LaBere

Postby JohnFitzgerald ? Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:21 pm ?  [Post 6]

If I had just one, it would be the bugle.

The cow call and bugle compliment each other but they can stand on their own. If you do choose one, learning the appropriate sounds and when to make them are just as important as learning how to blow the call.

My 2-cents and worth nothing more.

jf

John Fitzgerald
<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.BackTrakOutdoors.com\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">http://www.BackTrakOutdoors.com<!-- m -->
JohnFitzgerald Site Admin Posts: 238Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:54 pmLocation: Hermiston OregonName: John Fitzgerald

Postby >>>---WW----> ? Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:17 am ?  [Post 7]

10-4 on what John said!

If your eyelashes don\'t fall off just from looking at your broadheads, they ain\'t sharp enough!
>>>---WW----> Wall Hanger Posts: 362Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:53 amLocation: ColoradoName: Bill

Postby Swede ? Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:33 am ?  [Post 8]

I believe skill at calling takes a lot of experience. It takes years to get to where you understand what is going on when you encounter elk and to know how to work them. Some areas are tougher than others to call in elk. They are call shy and are very leery of bugles. I understand some folks take a book with then to review when they have a response to their call. They want to quickly read up on the subject and find the appropriate sounds to make. My thought is that if you think you need to carry a book to review, when you hear an elk, you are probably better off just cow calling.
A cow call is not intimidating. You lose nothing, and often elk will come looking for the cow. That is how my son got a bull late September and how many other elk are taken in pressurized areas. When I hear hunters continuously bugling in the forest, I am thinking they could do better with just a cow call. With a couple bite and blow calls, you can add variety, and sound very realistic as a pair of cows or a cow and calf, depending on which calls you use.
Swede Site Admin Posts: 481Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am

Postby bowhunter ? Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:48 am ?  [Post 9]

bnsafe wrote:
not enuf experience to give you a real answer, but beings my bugle sounds more like a hunter got his tool caught in his zipper i would say cow calling for me

:lol: :clap:
?What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight- it\'s the size of the fight in the dog.?
bowhunter Wall Hanger Posts: 314Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:42 amLocation: IowaName: Terry

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back