Cow elk strategy

Ethan

Feb 4, 2017
ive hunted elk on three different occasions.  Once in Colorado, Utah, and Oregon with friends that were locals.  I've been close several times, but not quite close enough for a recurve.  But i have learned some things along the way. 

I found out a couple weeks ago that I have been drawn for a Kentucky Cow elk tag.  Been doing lots of research and talking to some folks that have hunted there in recent past.  One of the biggest differences between eastern and western elk, so I've been told, is these elk don't seem to move nearly as much. 

My question is does anyone have any suggestions or tips or strategies you think might be helpful?

That sounds right but I am not sure. I also have never hunted eastern elk. I feel it would depend on when your season starts and ends. I also feel temperatures can also affect movement.

I've never hunted there either but I would say employ lots of calf sounds and let the cows come looking for you. Being that they are a herd animal they will respond well to calf talk.

Good luck and have an awesome hunt !!

Trav

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back