Cyclist killed by cougar

DTP

Administrator
Jun 13, 2017
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cyclists-tried-to-scare-cougar-but-it-attacked-killing-1/ar-AAxz2Kw?ocid=ientp

I'm not trying to take away from the light of this situation and I am not a cat expert, but I'd be surprised on how they "diagnose" this cat.

"They did everything they were supposed to do," King County sheriff's Sgt. Ryan Abbott said. "But something was wrong with this cougar."

"Myers said Sunday that the cougar was underweight ? about 100 pounds (45 kilograms), when a typical 3-year-old male in the area would be 140 to 180 pounds (63 to 81 kilograms)."

To me it sounds like a hungry cat that was not going to stop just because it was hit with a bike. I'm betting cats get wacked by deer horns or elk horns all the time, but keep going...

:dk:

Unfortunately it takes a loss of a human life or 2 to realize when predators numbers get to high that predator/human incidences increase.  Maybe this is what Washington needs to get hound hunting back.  most effective means of lion control.  just a matter of time before it happens again, based on the lion sign I saw on a weekend hiking trip with my brother who lives there. 

montanaelk31 said:
Unfortunately it takes a loss of a human life or 2 to realize when predators numbers get to high that predator/human incidences increase.  Maybe this is what Washington needs to get hound hunting back.  most effective means of lion control.  just a matter of time before it happens again, based on the lion sign I saw on a weekend hiking trip with my brother who lives there.

This is kind of what I was thinking....
The article was worded as if the cat was this rare anomaly that wont happen again.

I'm honestly surprised they don't have hound hunting out there.

there is a pic of the dead cat somewhere.  it didnt look all emaciated to me.

but i am not a cat expert.  my house cat is a fat turd.
RIP to the cyclist.  and i hope the survivor can get this behind him.

i mtn bike solo.
this freaks me out somewhat.  i get jumped on by a cat, that cat might kill me, but it will be thinking, "well that was more difficult than i imagined"

Boom said:
i mtn bike solo.
this freaks me out somewhat.  i get jumped on by a cat, that cat might kill me, but it will be thinking, "well that was more difficult than i imagined"

I hear you as I do a lot of biking in to hunting areas solo.  Just be prepared I guess is the motto.  I don't think it will happen in a state that controls their predator population. Colorado black bear interactions might come to be more common, as they do not currently have a spring season. 

The headlines made the cougar seem like an anamoly.  Fact is when humans enjoy the outdoors we are going into their territory. We as humans need to be aware and take cautious measure.  It?s like when you hear of agencies drop the hammer on Black Bears that are getting into communities and back yards in mountainous suburbs.  Well humans moved into and developed housing in their habitat.  My personal opinion is the human should adjust accordingly not the animal.  I live in Missoula MT and living in a suburban area with houses on all sides with an acre or so to each, I thought it was awesome I had black bear in my yard.  I felt bad the bear was searching for food so low and amongst humans instead of in the mountains but I didn?t fuss and make he animal out to be the issue. But that?s just my two cents.  I?m sure there may be a few who don?t agree

Being a life long houndsman and cat hunter this was bound to happen in one the west coast states. When you take the factors of hunting lions with hounds out of conservation the lion population was bound to grow out of control. These states took the best tool out of each states hands through ballet initiatives, not science.

IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN, GUARANTEED.

Terry

agree!!
i live here.  i think hunting them (with hounds) works.  bare minimum, you teach the cats a healthy dose of "fear humans".

Carry a firearm or knife, that's the best defense when you are in an area that this situation is a possibility. With bears and cougars well only the strongest survive so take that in to account when your headed into a wooded area where these guys live especially in the spring they are hungry and a lot of the time this is an animal 1st year away from mom and establishing their territory but also competing with much more dominant rivals. There are a lot of variables I guess but as mentioned previously I guess the best tool is being prepared. Be safe everyone and enjoy the outdoors 👍🏼

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back