Deciphering Colorado DOW Stats...

cohunter14

Administrator
Jul 10, 2017
I am posting this in the \'Anything Else\' category as it could matter for any kind of species in Colorado. Anyway, I have noticed that with certain tags, the DOW combines the quota for alloted tags between multiple seasons. I know that you can figure out exactly how many tags go to each season my looking at the Drawing Summaries on the Statistics page, but is there any way to figure out how many people apply for which season? For example, say there are a total of 1,500 tags for a certain unit, but 1,000 tags are for 2nd season and 500 are for 3rd. If you look at the Hunt Recap Summary, typically you can figure out how many people apply for each tag, but in this circumstance they combine them. It just seems to me that your drawing opportunity could vary by quite a bit based on how those numbers actually work out. Either that, or do they just allot the tags based on how many people apply for each season? Any help would be appreciated :)

I usually treat them as a single season, but enter them as separate huntcodes.

My take is, if CPW treats them as a single huntcode, then they don\'t break them out by season.

Send me a PM on a specific huntcode / season, and I\'ll see what my database tells me (I have about 200K records I can look at, over the last 5 year or so).

AB.

I don\'t mind posting it on here as it covers a ton of units and I\'ve never hunted it before :lol: : It\'s D-M-049-O2-R and O3-R.

Heck I don\'t know why they group them together. Maybe they just need to keep the herd size down.

Here is what I\'m seeing back to 2008.

The overall success rate looks pretty good to.

Attachments

• Unit49Rifle.PNG
    16.9 KB · Views: 97
Thanks Dana! Yeah, it just makes it difficult to figure out what your opportunity is for successfully drawing a tag when they group them like that. I am guessing that the number of tags given for each season is based on the number of people who draw for each season, but who knows.

The number of tags per season must be based on how many people draw for one season over another. In the last three years, the number of tags allotted has looked like this:

2013: 2nd season 1,031, 3rd season 769
2012: 2nd season 1,058, 3rd season 742
2011: 2nd season 996, 3rd season 804

In all scenarios, the total tags for the two seasons is 1,800 so this must be how they decide to break it down. So really your chance at drawing a tag doesn\'t matter which season you put in for, it is the same for both.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back