difference

bnsafe

Mar 2, 2014
whats the main difference in hunting wt an mulies. you can pattern wt, but can you with mulies, will they stay in the same general area

I have no experience with WT.

I hunted mulies for the first time this past September. The 3 mule deer I was watching came back to the same spots each day at the same time of day on multiple days. I was a bit surprised, however, I had observed this before in the same area during an early August backpacking scouting trip.

So for my one location, yes, they stayed in the same area and came back to the exact same spots each day. They were a heck of a lot easier to find than elk.

We have both out here in eastern Colo. I focus more on mulies & in my opinion, they are very similar in their patterns. Bed in the same general area, water from the same tank & feed in the same area as long as the feed is there & they don\'t get disturbed to bad. When the rut kicks in, all bets are off tho. Overnight I have seen a rut crazed buck move over 5 miles in search of you know what :crazy: I\'ve put several in the freezer that did the same thing one time to many.

I\'ve never hunted mulies so I can not actually tell you the difference but I will say that in my many years of experience one does not pattern a truly old and big whitetail. He\'s a different breed altogether! You can do everything perfectly and it is still an educated guess together with good fortune to get a shot at one! I have seen them do unbelievable things.

I\'ve yet to do my first elk hunt but Mullie is on my to do list as well. Is it usually worth wild to buy a Mullie tag while elk hunting when able?

The way my world rotates if I got a Mullie tag, I\'ll be overrun with elk, if I\'m holding an elk tag the Millie\'s will be everywhere. That\'s how my fishing license work too, lol

\"Bob Frapples\" said:
I\'ve yet to do my first elk hunt but Mullie is on my to do list as well. Is it usually worth wild to buy a Mullie tag while elk hunting when able?

The way my world rotates if I got a Mullie tag, I\'ll be overrun with elk, if I\'m holding an elk tag the Millie\'s will be everywhere. That\'s how my fishing license work too, lol

Welcome Bob! I think a lot depends on if you are archery or rifle hunting. For me, I typically try to get a mulie tag every year along with my elk tag because I hunt rifle. Mulies are pretty easy to stumble upon while chasing after elk in the areas I hunt, so it never hurts to have a tag. Archery hunting can be another story because of the time you need to spend to get close enough to close the deal.

I\'ll be exclusively hunting with a bow, maybe one day a smoke pole, but that would probably only if I get my dad to go wherever I go.

\"cnelk\" said:
Some may think it best to not mix elk/mulie unless you have plenty of time.
Back in the day when deer tags were all OTC, I would buy a deer tag \'just in case\' during my elk hunt. Anymore, with tags at a premium, I don\'t think I would mix deer and elk hunting either.
The difference between whitetails and mulies? Most people in CO hunt mulies on the west side of I25 and whitetails on the east side. Archery hunters have to hunt mulies in September on the west side, while whitetails can be hunted during the rut on the east side. Hunting rutting deer, opposed to hunting deer that are cautious and in their normal pattern, is a totally different ballgame.

Bullnuts
On the BGSS Structure input, I suggested a late season deer hunt west of I25 for November.
That season would be a limited hunt, and help eliminate some PP for people.

Just an idea

\"cnelk\" said:
Bullnuts
On the BGSS Structure input, I suggested a late season deer hunt west of I25 for November.
That season would be a limited hunt, and help eliminate some PP for people.
That\'s a good idea and I wish that Colorado would end its love affair with I25 and start using the foothills as the boundary between east and west. There are a ton of whitetails west of the I, where the mountains range far from the highway, and there is some great hunting to be had but we manage everthing on that west side the same.

Honestly the biggest difference IMO is that muleys are Generally in tougher terrain but MUCH easier to kill. You rarely hear of somebody having encounters with a muley multiple years in a row before killing it. With whities, that\'s almost the norm. Booner whitetail is the Holy Grail of bowhunting IMO

BN.

in AZ, i get to chase both. couse whitetails..and when i get busted by the many many does. i typically give up for the day and \"go and find those darn mulies\"..night and day with their alertness.

both are difficult, but i see the WT as the smarter deer. i\'ve seen them stay hilltop until the thermo reverse and then they move down. seen elk do this too.

if you get busted by a mulie, you see it run away and go up the next hill. the couse, it runs away..and it will take a hard left or right and follow the ravine out. you NEVER see it go up the adjacent hill. amazing animals.

so much fun, so much cussing the throwing your hat on the ground.

\"otcWill\" said:
Honestly the biggest difference IMO is that muleys are Generally in tougher terrain but MUCH easier to kill. You rarely hear of somebody having encounters with a muley multiple years in a row before killing it. With whities, that\'s almost the norm. Booner whitetail is the Holy Grail of bowhunting IMO
I can\'t say that I agree with your assessment of big mulies. Having hunted both, I have found big mulies to be as cagey as any whitetail ever was. Most of the big whitetails that guys see season after season are on private land where they have the luxury of growing big deer and seeing them year after year. Big mulies may let you get close once, but if you blow that chance you may never see that deer again - not this season or next. They are both challenging to hunt and I\'m just happy that I have the opportunity to chase both!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back