Digiscoping

Olympushunt

Jun 30, 2014
Anybody combine their spotting scope and digital camera? I have been researching doing this and am interested if anyone has a particular set up they like. I see Vortex has some devices that do that. Anyone doing this? Sounds like fun.

I\'ve seen the setup for iphones in Cabelas and always curious myself how well it works. I\'m pretty sure that I would need a better spotting scope in order to get high quality pictures. Here\'s a link to one at Sportsman\'s Warehouse.

<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Phone-Skope-Spotting-Scope-Camera-Adapter/productDetail/Binocular-Accessories/prod999901367523/cat100084\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/spor ... /cat100084</a><!-- m -->

\"Colorado Russ\" said:
I\'ve seen the setup for iphones in Cabelas and always curious myself how well it works. I\'m pretty sure that I would need a better spotting scope in order to get high quality pictures. Here\'s a link to one at Sportsman\'s Warehouse.

<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Phone-Skope-Spotting-Scope-Camera-Adapter/productDetail/Binocular-Accessories/prod999901367523/cat100084\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/spor ... /cat100084</a><!-- m -->

Thanks....that\'s awesome. I have thought about using my cell. It actually takes pretty nice images. I have a buddy who showed me some big muley buck pics with a scope and his cell. I\'m not sure if he had that device or not. I played around just holding my cell and my point and shoot camera with my scope and it works but the pics are only fair quality. You have to hold suuuuper steady. I like the idea of using my cell as it is one less thing to pack. But for scouting when I am not carrying all my hunting gear I would love to have a nice digital camera and scope. I\'m just not sure what combo would work well.

My bad Luke - you said Digital Camera but I heard Smart Phone! :)

I found several online including Vortex which you\'ve already looked at. I\'d like to see some actual pics too. Seems like if your digital camera has a zoom then that would just add to the zoom of your spotting scope so may even be better.

Well...I definitely would like to interface my phone with the scope too. It would be super handy. I like the idea of doing this digiscoping a lot. I have a spot that I can glass elk on a near every evening basis but it is a few hundred yards away. I have seen some digiscoped pics that make it look like they are in your lap! It would be fun to share the pics on here. Money is the prohibiting factor though. Hobbies can get splendy super fast. lol

[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->P11000861264206604.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

haha..there is nothing more frustrating than trying to free-hand digiscope. (there is a very good Couse deer in that picture)

now having said that, i have snapped some cool pics.

i dont think i\'ll ever carry an official setup. seems too cumbersome and i am always to ramped up about the hunt itself.

Attachments

• P11000861264206604.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 114
I see him Cliff! I see him! lol. I am learning this myself. It\'s maddening to try and free hand it. I am getting fairly crappy results.
I have free handed some with my phone and some with my point and shoot. I want an \"official\" set up. Wish in one hand...... :mrgreen:

When I first started over 10 years ago at this, I bought a Zeiss diascope, tripod and their camera adaptor. It was heavy and cumbersome. The adaptor held your camera, and then you had to slide the camera up the adjuster until the lens was close to the eyepeice of the scope in order to get a photo. I had a tough time getting everything just right and eventually gave up on it.

Over the years I would hold my digital camera up to the scope free hand and try to get photos, but as stated above, they were only fair compared to what one could see through the scope.

Last year I purchased a Phone Skope for my iPhone. It was a bit pricey (around $80), but man does that thing work great. When you go to their website, you select your specific phone or tablet, the optics (binos or spotting scope), the manufacturer eyepeice type, etc.. What you get is a custom light and slim plastic adaptor that fits snug on the eyepeice and the iPhone clicks into the adaptor (without a case) and then you can take photos or video via your phone. It is a really slick peice of equipment and I am glad I spent the $ on it, as it helped me in capturing some cool photos through my scope during my scouting last year. I expect that it will get plenty of use this scouting season for the trophy deer and elk tags we have.

Here are some photos using that system:

This buck was about 500yds away:

These elk were about 900 yds away:

These bucks were 1500+yds away:

Oh wow! Thanks Roman....that is some extremely helpful info! Gotta love this forum! Nice pics!
I might just get that phone case after Russ brought it up and now you showing me those pics.... very nice.

No problem!

I just recieved an email from Phone Skope, they have a 10% discount off of an entire order for Father\'s Day. The email didn\'t really say what the duration of this discount is, but it said \"Save Today\", so not sure if it is only good on June 12th, 2015, but here is the code: FATHERSDAY15

\"Baby Huey\" said:
No problem!

I just recieved an email from Phone Skope, they have a 10% discount off of an entire order for Father\'s Day. The email didn\'t really say what the duration of this discount is, but it said \"Save Today\", so not sure if it is only good on June 12th, 2015, but here is the code: FATHERSDAY15

Thanks man! I appreciate it!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back