DIY Home Bow Shop

TooLucky406

Jan 12, 2013
As the title state.....how many of you work on your own bows or work on other people's bow? I started about 5 years ago really working on my own bow due to a combination of bad customer service from local archery shops and having the peace of mind of a well tune bow.  Through this short period, I learn that there are many theories to go about tuning a bow(walk back, broadhead, french, yok tuning,  etc), with the end result being the same.  Other questions for folks are,  if you do work on your own equipment what has been your biggest challenges to date?

I have a bow press that I welded and bolted together from plans (X press style).  It's not the greatest, but I have used it to tune my sisters bow, my daughters bow and my bow and it has come in extremely handy.  Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't be without one again.  There's a few other tools that would be nice, arrow cutter etc, but maybe down the road, add a piece at a time.

Biggest challenge is finding information that is credible on how to tune/correct an issue.  There's lots of info on the net that surprisingly isn't true (sarcasm)

I have shot a bow for 25 years and I live in southwest Montana and have an archery work area in my basement because of the hour and half drive to my "local" pro shop. I have changed strings/cables and do all the tuning for my family's bows.

Find a good shop owned by an older guy and shadow him. Make sure he knows you're not going to be his competition. 90% of working on a bow is common sense.

jstephens61 said:
I do my own work. Helps that I owned a shop for 12 years and kept all the equipment.

This.... between dad and I 25 or so years in the business of cranking on bows.

bowhuntmd said:
Interested in making my own shop what are some good resources to learn from

I have been bowhunting for 25 years and here are a few people that I have learned from over the years through their books, articles, videos.  If you pick up some material from them and can find a local mentor then you will be off to a great start.  Of course, there are more people out there who have knowledge as well but this list should get you going.  You can do an Internet search and should find a lot of information.

By the way, I never had a mentor to help me work on archery equipment.  I learned by reading a lot, asking lots of questions at local pro shops & lots of trial and error.

- Larry Wise
- Randy Ulmer
- Joe Bell
- Patrick Meitin
- Hamskea Archery
- Dwight Schuh
- Chuck Adams

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back