Do new strings make a difference?

blake

Aug 27, 2015
I am using an older Mathews Legacy Solo Cam, it seems to shoot fine and consistent for me, however, when shooting with other people I feel like my bow doesn't shoots nearly as hard and has much more drop to it. The only thing I can think to do would be to replace my strings. Would this even help with either of my complaints?

Thanks

It probably won't make much difference.  IBO is 308 so depending on your draw length, draw weight and arrow weight you'll probably be shooting in the 240-260 fps range assuming you are maxed out on draw weight and 29-30" draw length and shooting a reasonable weight arrow.  My old bow was shooting around 240 fps and it was lobbing rainbows at 60 yards.  My new setup shooting the same arrows is at 292 fps.  If you want faster and flatter you'll need to upgrade.

Hate to disagree but they will make a difference. Over time, strings and cables will stretch. If the string stretches you draw and poundage will increase, cables stretch, draw and poundage decrease. If they stretch at the same rate, which is not likely, you'll not see a change. Send the money and change both at a good shop. Make sure they have the ATA and brace to factory specs.

jstephens61 said:
Hate to disagree but they will make a difference. Over time, strings and cables will stretch. If the string stretches you draw and poundage will increase, cables stretch, draw and poundage decrease. If they stretch at the same rate, which is not likely, you'll not see a change. Send the money and change both at a good shop. Make sure they have the ATA and brace to factory specs.
I agree with this. I replaced my string and cable this year with a custom built by local bow shop and it made my bow feel brand new and ten times better than the factory string. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper than a new bow!

Now I agree that new custom strings are better than factory strings and it is cheaper than a new bow.  I shot the same 2006 model bow till early this year.

So how much FPS do you gain and fewer inches of drop when you put on the new strings?  Maybe I read the question wrong.  I'm sure it will help, but will it still feel slower and have more drop than his buddies, yep.

If your strings and cables are old they definitely need replaced. You might loose a little speed but your gona loose a lot of accuracy. When they age they strech and it throws off your specs and gets everything out of timing. Need to make sure the axle to axle is right the peak poundage and the brace height. If any are off your bow will not shoot right. I replace mine every 2 years. Just look up your specs and measure everything. Good luck

jspencer said:
Now I agree that new custom strings are better than factory strings and it is cheaper than a new bow.  I shot the same 2006 model bow till early this year.

So how much FPS do you gain and fewer inches of drop when you put on the new strings?  Maybe I read the question wrong.  I'm sure it will help, but will it still feel slower and have more drop than his buddies, yep.

Impossible to answer. Putting new rigging on the bow and getting it back in factory spec will make it shoot better. No new string on a Bear Whitetail will make it shoot 300 fps.

jstephens61 said:
Impossible to answer. Putting new rigging on the bow and getting it back in factory spec will make it shoot better. No new string on a Bear Whitetail will make it shoot 300 fps.

Agreed.  There will be some gains if it's not well tuned too. 

More than anything is that you hit where you want it to consistently and have confidence that you can make the shot when it counts.  If the new string buys you some FPS and accuracy it will be money well spent. Even if it is slower than your buddies, if you are more accurate and confident it won't matter. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back