Early Season Tactics

ryancolter96

Feb 28, 2017
Hey y'all,

I'm new to the elk scene. I've been scrolling through the elk101 forums and found tons of info, and it's been great. But, I'm looking for some early season tips. My first elk hunt will be in late august this year and I understand that the bulls act completely different in the early season. From some podcasts I've listened to and from some people I've talked with through elk101, I've learned that they like to be in the high country and will be bulking up that time of year getting ready for the rut. I'm just wondering if anyonehas anymore advice they'd be willing to give a new elk hunter!

Thanks.

You should really sign up for Elk University, it will cut down on the learning curve. Worth every dollar.

Agree completely with jstephenson61 here,  basically your entire question is covered and then some in the course. Worth every penny...

When I read about the course I really wish I could take it! At some point I'm sure I will, but right now I'm on a tight budget to even be able to go on the hunt because I'm a college student. So, I'm just trying to collect info as cheaply as possible (as a college student would do).

Take this with a grain of salt as I'm sure there are other people on this forum that know much much better than I do. (full disclosure, been hunting elk 5 years now public land with a lot of pressure and have not gotten an elk but have had my chances)

Early season bulls can typically still be grouped together, I've hunted an area for awhile now where I get decent bulls on trail cameras all through July/Aug and then whether it be pressure or just that time of year, come the season they all move out. It is really going to depend on the unit you are hunting in, how much pressure, terrain, weather etc.

I would also recommend the Elk University if you can find the money to take it, it really does help tremendously but I think we've all been there for the most part where an online course seems like the lowest on your priority list!

If I were you, I'd find a good glassing spot, get there before first light and spend some time with your binos or spotting scope, walk some ridge lines, be patient and aware of everything around you. Look for the obvious, rubs should be pretty fresh that time of year, look for wallows as that would be a good location to set up shop around if you find one and just look for general sign.

I'd be careful with the term high country, while yes bulls will be higher now then they will later in the year, don't get caught up to high in mule deer country. Elk will always be tied to water much more so then deer and thus be at elevations where water is readily available which is typically not above timberline. Basins = Food, water, cover/bedding. Depending on time of year and some microclimate/microsite specifics they could be North or South facing but find some basins (small ones while not as picturesque and worthy of a Hemmingway-like write up in a magazine, will often hold elk and more importantly for me won't hold other hunters).

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Hey Ryan, for clarification the course isn't something you have to "take." You can browse modules and watch videos and learn in whatever direction you choose. Its not graded by any means nor do you have to follow each section one by one, well worth the investment if you have not already my friend.

Food for thought:
Also high country in different states can mean different things. I find most of the bulls in my area in "high country" at 9k 10k feet. I also find them at 7-8k throughout September. As we know, more pressure means elk will tend to move higher or further. I have been successful at 10k ft (above most dense timber) drawing in a bull at that elevation when we had hunters below at 7k ft. He walked right in to our set-up like there was not a care in the world. Maybe it had to do with him feeling more confident he was out of danger.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back