Elk decoys

Huntkingfish

Mar 23, 2014
Has anyone used a decoy while solo? If so were you successful, and was it part of the reason? Which decoy did you use? How did you use it?

Used Mrs. September twice... setting decoy behind me.  The first time, the cows looked at the decoy  and spooked.  The second time the bull looked at the decoy and spooked.  I haven't used one since but I hear some people have luck.

I used a Heads Up cow elk decoy. I clamped it to a tree about 20 yards behind me and it drew a spike bull in and i was able to put it down at 30 yards.  I think they work well.

Decoys are for ducks ;)

They work for some people, but never for me. I have better luck raking trees if they wont come in

i used a miss september last year, it work good enough to get me a shot but i would have thought he would have been more interested.
im thinkin a heads up might work better when trying to move towards them.

I have had some luck with them. I have set them up behind me and to the side of me and have had some success. I have also had some cow elk spook from them. Our bowhunt here starts in August and ends the first week of September. That last week they seem to do better. I have had bulls come right up to her before. The only problem is trying to get a any bull tag :)

There a tool. I f I think the elk are spooked because of it I don't use it.

I've used the elk butt decoy successfully a number of times. I had an interesting conversation with a biologist who told me he personally believed the other decoys were more harmful than good. All else has a head that's looking up, alerted, or visible in some way. The problem is, Elk don't stand that way for long without flicking an ear or moving their heads... just not very realistic. Made sense to me!

We have used them to move through an opening before when there is no cover, I have also had bulls that hung up and when we put up the decoy they come on the run. Other times they look at the decoy and get nervous and leave. I think it's like calling sometimes it works wonderful other times not as good.

I used a Montana decoy solo last year and it made the bull freeze as soon as he had a clear view of it. He stared it down, threw his head around and made noise trying to get the cow to react in some way. Couldn't get a shot off. Going to try a heads up decoy to "flash" at them so they come in but keep looking for it instead of setting it up behind me and having them freeze because it's not moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if they would make one that has a pivoting head so it looks like a heads up or move the head down to feeding that it would be amazing!!! maybe i will shoot an email to montana.

At one point I had thrown down the old Montana decoy side profile one and cow called a few times and was going to make a move to the tree about 20 yards ahead of me , but before I could move a 5 point came down the trail saw the decoy and kept coming.  I had to hide behind it, any how the bull came down about 70 yards out, walked around it to get the wind, and or until the profile was no good and finally knew something was up and took off.  If I had made it to the tree I would have been golden.

I will set up the eichler and miss sept. Together in cover behind me.  I use them during the rut.  Just make sure your wind is right.  I have had veried luck from bringing them in on a string to similar as others.  Every situation is different and wouldn't say they will make or break a hunt.

Members online

No members online now.
Back