Elk Decoys

elk1990

Dec 10, 2014
Looking into buying a Montana elk decoy for the coming archery season. Never used one. Any recommendations on what model, tips, or general info??

I have had good luck with the eichler and miss sept together.  Also just picked up the new rump and am excited for sept. to see how it works.  I tent to try and brush them in a little over putting in the wide open.

I have the Cow Elk 1, Miss Sept. and just bought a Rump.  Also have a HeadsUp.  First time setting up my Cow Elk 1 I had a bull coming into it while I was still pushing the stakes in the ground!  Unfortunately I set my bow down 20 yds away (never again) to setup the decoy and never got a shot.  Sure wish they'd make lightweight stakes though as they are just too dang heavy to pack in very far.  I like the Miss Sept and the Rump and the HeadsUp also.  The Heads Up is a bit easier to carry around but if I'm sitting, I like to have the MD's setup.  So I think they each have their pros and cons.

I have used the heads up decoy and it worked wonders.  I got caught in the wide open but the bull was fixated on the decoy so i was still able to draw and shoot at 30 yards.

We used Miss September (for the first time in my 7 years of archery elk hunting)  with great results last year in the middle of an open uncut hay field with no trees within 300 yards.  Got the Eichler Elk for Christmas and am excited to see how it works.

We've used the full sized decoys with some success...but, use the Heads Up at your own risk.  Holding an elk head in your hand or attached to the front of your bow sounds like a great way to get shot, my $.02.

I've used just about all of them, and prefer the Heads Up Decoy for its mobility and ease of use. The Montana Decoys are great as well, and give a larger view of an elk, but I don't like having to stake out or set up a decoy, especially when the elk takes off across the mountain and I'm giving chase. The HUD allows me to instantly move and go where I need to go without set-up or take down. It's super light as well, and easily straps on a pack or tucks into a side pocket on the pack.

http://www.elk101.com/store/gear/decoys/heads-up

Attachments

• Elk with Decoy.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Decoy.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 70
I have been using the Rita rump Montana decoy, but I admit I don't always carry it, I have been looking to get the heads up seems a little easy to stow and carry.

I'm gonna try the Eichler by Montana Decoy as I often hunt solo. I like how you can hang it from a tree if possible! I'll let you know how it works afterSeptember!

I have had trouble getting decoy into a pack without folding down ears.  finally found a badlands pack with straps on the front that work well.  I like my Montana decoy..no actual shooting situations yet.  my hunting partners have not been able to stay with me when I'm chasing.

I have been using the shoot through decoy by Ultimate Predator,  have used Montana's in the past  with mixed results.    But think a decoy is a must at right time.

Picked up a HUD a few weeks ago, really like it so far, now just have to get the right situation to use it. I am all about getting a extra second or two with a bull in the wheelhouse focused on something other than me.

The first time we used one we had two cows with a 6 point bull running into us.  Cows got within 30 yards, saw the decoy, and split, taking the bull with them. Never really used one since.  God enough stuff to carry.  However, I have several friends who have used them with great success.  I have two, maybe will give them a try again...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back