elk elevation

IdahoElkHunter

Feb 24, 2014
There are two places I'm thinking about hunting, one location at about 5000+ ft and the other at 6000+ feet. I have only come across elk around the 5000 ft location by happen stance on the road a few times and have seen some in late October while deer hunting. The other location is higher up in thick timber. I haven't seen any elk up there, but everything up there seems much more suitable for elk. Greener grass, more water sources, far from the road, etc. I don't have much experience elk hunting, so any help and advice to point me in the right direction would be much obliged.
Thanks all!

to be fair a thousand feet can be a shift during the hunt. really its not a one or the other stance start at five work up to six and then back down

Honestly find the thickest lodge pole timber you can, north facing slopes and there you should find elk. South open slopes with tree lines in the evening, also little saddles between these places are travel spots. Hope this helps. Best of luck man!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elk are where they feel comfortable, the hunt I just got back from the elk are always up high, we'll guess what this year they were down In the bottoms. If your not finding them, or sign of them change elevation and see what you find. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback. As of late, I've been hunting down around 4,200 ft. Happened across a little 2pt Sunday morning, but couldn't make it happen. So far I've learned that the disadvantage to this is that there are a lot of road hunters who make a lot of noise. I guess I'll wait until next year to hunt the high country.

Thanks, and good luck all!

I have a spot that is right next to the road that is a bedding area... everyone drives right by it. Another spot the elk hang out at 4400 feet at night in a meadow... first light they haul butt back up to 5500 feet to bed. Scout... scout ...scout. Look for thick North East mountain sides for bedding... south open timber or meadows for food... and water. Scout these areas looking for well used trails and fresh crap. You find that... you are in elk country. It may be low near farm fields our high above timber line... elk are where you find them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back