Elk gel?

nclonghunter

Dec 28, 2012
I just ordered some Sportsman Edge elk gel, has anyone used this product. Also looked at Moccasin Joes elk gel and it looked pretty good.
Not using these as cover scent, just as a possible attractant. Anyone using these and how you use it ?

I use maccosin joes cow in heat and it seems to work pretty good. I have never used the gel but imagine its a good product. Saw lots of elk and I would just gradually use it to check the wind throuout my hunt.

I've been debating using something like this for years. However, I don't like to consistently smell the same scent and masking my full senses while in the field. I like to be able to use my senses to smell them. On the flip side I would assume you would have to use thermals to carry the scent to them. By doing so, I can't imagine that they would not be able to somewhat smell you at the same time?
To be able to justify some results I would assume it would take years of using the same product as with anything.
Do a lot of you use luring scents like this?

I plan on keeping the scent in a ziplock bag while moving around. I do not want to smell it while moving. Need to smell elk or at least be able to. If I set up at a wallow or sit somewhere for a while, the I will hang the scent on a limb and get off to the side of it. I know you will be battling the shifting winds but if a bull or cow hits that scent before yours it may just make a difference. I am actually reading that fresh elk urine is the best, but getting some of that could be difficult.

I wonder whether this would work on red deer here in Aus.... reckon I might have a try. Where can you get these gel/scent lures?

I have never used gel but I have used Joes spray before and had several bull manly spikes come in raising ther upper lip and sniff hard looking for the cow. Had a bull come into about 15 feet and bugle at me last year with the wind swirling and he could smell the cow and not me.

Elk fire, Mokasin Joe's Cow in Heat and elk urine. Had a Bull ten feet away from me curlled nose dingaling hanging during pre-rut... We used the Gel but that elk fire seemed to really do the trick...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back