Elk in Rut Calling

gthomas28

Jan 3, 2013
How often do you bugle to elk in the peak rut?  Is it more just to locate like turkeys? and then use the cow call to bring them in?  I am hunting in NM this bow season for the first time - looking for all the help I can get. 

Bugle to locate, then get in close (100-150 yards) before making any other sound. Set up and start with cow calling. If he bugles back cut him off with an aggressive bugle. By cutting him off with your bugle you will challenge him and he will have to respond, most likely by coming to you. You will be to close for him to just gather his cows and leave.

This is what the boys at Elk 101 preach. I tried it last season on two bull and it worked great.

With that explaination It just sunk in what cut him off with an aggressive bugle means.  ::)  I could have used this info this last season....

If I'm walking, I will call every 100 to 200 yards as sound only travels so far. So each time I know I'm hitting another 100 to 200 yards more in distance and usually do not pass up any elk. it has worked pretty well for me.

Once i located i will sneak in until i believe im close enough to get that bulls attention when i bugle.  He will think its another bull trying to still his cows and come charging in.  Once he does that its a little to late for him and hopefully comes close enough to get a shot.

BullHunter said:
Once i located i will sneak in until i believe im close enough to get that bulls attention when i bugle.  He will think its another bull trying to still his cows and come charging in.  Once he does that its a little to late for him and hopefully comes close enough to get a shot.

I have snuck in close and then bugled, only to have the herd bull gather up his cows and head off--challenge game over and now I get to dog the herd.  He wasn't going to tangle with another bull.  If he thinks you have one of his cows, that can be a whole different story.

RockyMountainHi said:
BullHunter said:
Once i located i will sneak in until i believe im close enough to get that bulls attention when i bugle.  He will think its anotherbull trying to still his cows and come charging in.  Once he does that its a little to late for him and hopefully comes close enough to get a shot.

I have snuck in close and then bugled, only to have the herd bull gather up his cows and head off--challenge game over and now I get to dog the herd.  He wasn't going to tangle with another bull.  If he thinks you have one of his cows, that can be a whole different story.

I have had both happen but...... When I have closed the distance and have the upper hand (wind, shooting lanes, cover etc...) I give a couple soft cow calls. When the bull replies (depending on the temperament of his voice, sometimes I wait for a more aggressive bugle from him if his first response is weak) I then hammer him with a very insulting bugle. Had it work many times, but it's elk hunting- you sometimes have to go to plan "B", or "C"........ ;D  And who doesn't love a foot race with a bugling bull! Lol!

Where I hunt, bugling has never been a good idea!  Bulls seem to know each other!  When there is a new voice, they move their herds out!  Cow calls might help but that is only when dealing with a satellite bull!  Best bet is to spot and stalk and use their chatter to help you!

During the rut; before, during and after, i use a cow call most of the time.  The areas I hunt will get a little pressure and that tends to put the bulls down, so the cow call calms them down a little.  I will bugle once in a while to locate the bulls or if I want to sound more aggressive than they are.

For the most part I grew up bugling more times then I would cow call, thus I get even more aggressive during the rut. As you all know every bull, scenario, location of area, is going to affect how you call that bull. I prefer the up close and personnel aggressive bugling, with several location bugles father out. Sneaking in close then ripping a bugle at a herd of elk, I'll say 80% of the time, the herd is going to get up and leave. Elk are extremely weary creatures. I'm from Montana, calling elk in Western MT is completely different then in Central and Eastern(the Breaks). One must be able to adapt and let their experience and knowledge dictate their calling. That being said,  if the bull is supposed to be a "Big Bull," he shouldn't be afraid of aggressive bugling......right??? ;)

I like to locate a bull and then sneak in as close as possible without him knowing I'm there. Then alot of times I will do a non aggressive bugle followed by cow calls. It has brought in quite a few for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back