Elk in the snow

nclonghunter

Dec 28, 2012
I have hunted deer in the snow and they stand out against the white background. I have not had the opportunity to hunt elk in the snow. Say in archery season a good snow would hit, what would change for hunting elk? Do they hide and bed down in the dark timber or do they continue in normal patterns.
I can only imagine hunting elk in the dark timber with snow on the ground. I would have to get my white clothes out and put a litle white tape on my bow.

I haven't had any trouble with it. They are just like deer usually and they stick our like a sore thumb. Maybe during the storm they will hunker down, but when its over they will continue their patterns. My very first year of archery hunting we were seeing the same elk every morning and on the 3rd day it snowed and the elk did the same thing they had done the previous 2 days. We had set up to ambush them and only a spike came within distance and we were in a browtine only area. So they didnt change we just sat in the wrong spot haha

I still catch Elk in burned out areas during the mornings and then right back to cover.  They do stick out for sure.  But i have never hunted them in the snow. Just see them when im deer hunting.

The elk keep the same patterns unless its a big storm and wind or if the snow is too deep they move down the mtn for food.

If it is not a big snowstorm it just makes the hunting a little bit easier. Easier to track, easier to see, etc.

My experience with elk in a September snow is that as soon as the snow stops they pile out into open, sunny hillsides and dry off/soak up the sun. I don't get the chance to hunt a Sept. snow very often, but when I do its usually lights out - tons of activity in the hours afterwards.

only thing I find diff is if its a deep snow they will stay out feeding longer.and with snow comes cold and they are more vocal in the cold.I is much easier to sneak in with snow,much quieter.I think the elk are not as jumpy during a storm as you can see on my pic to the left there was 4 of these bulls at 35 to 45 yards looking at me for more than 10 min when I took this pic.had already shot my elk and was deer hunting.

Good God man!  It snows in NC?  I have noticed that when the storm is over the elk come out to sun,  I have walked right into a herd twice.  First time while it was snowing because it's so quiet and the second when it was melting and falling off the trees masking your movement and the next thing you know your in them.  As far as your white cammo theory I wouldn't spend the money.  Movement and scent is your down fall not your cammo.

Love a little snow.  Always seems to keep the elk out feeding a little later in the morning.  Makes tracking and finding fresh sign easy as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back