Fast n lite or Slow n heavy

Bigggcountry

Jul 26, 2013
I can accurately (bottom of a solo cup) group my arrows with either. Which do you think is more effective on a bull?

I would say as close to 650 grains as possible per Dr. Ashbys reports, I shoot 726-736 grains depending on lighted nock or not, and feel I should not have an issue killing an Elk with in 45 yards even if bone is encountered and a 2nd follow up shot out to 65yards if needed. Good luck either way you go

726gr\286fps=131.84KE & 92.19 Slug Ft Momentum  ;D

My FMJs weight in at 509 gr of total weight. My crono says that they are flying at 270fps. I bury them into my new black hole target to the nocks out to 50yds.

Camosteve, how are you getting so much speed with such heavy arrows. I have a Hoyt charger with a 31" draw

I like a little more weight to my arrows  for penetration and less drift  when shooting in a wind but 90% of it is still shoot placement so if you need speed to give you accuracy than  what ever works for you.

HardLoadHunter said:
wow ive killed 2 that didnt run more than 50 yds and one 200 yds with 400 grns shooting 300 fps
This sums it up. Shot placement is the most important part. I also like a lighter arrow, mine is around 450 because of my lighted nocks!

What is your guys thoughts on FOC? Has anyone actually measured their FOC and adjusted if not correct? I'm currently shooting pretty dang accurate, but i wonder if my FOC would be off due to only 100gr head, and having a lighted nock in the back(partial counter balance). I just don't know if i should shoot 125's or not.

Micarden3 said:
What is your guys thoughts on FOC? Has anyone actually measured their FOC and adjusted if not correct? I'm currently shooting pretty dang accurate, but i wonder if my FOC would be off due to only 100gr head, and having a lighted nock in the back(partial counter balance). I just don't know if i should shoot 125's or not.

125 wont change your accuracy at all
i changed mine and had amazing results and im kicking it up again with brass inserts trust me its worth it

Thanks for all the great info!!!  Might have to play with my arrow setup to see what I can get out on my Hoyt. Dr Ashby's report were great reading. Gotta do something to pass the time. Only 124 days til it opens

Bigggcountry... I posted the WRONG SPEED, I shoot 186FPS with a 726gr Arrow at 65lb pull,NOT 286FPS that is what I wish I was shooting, I chronoed my bow last year when I bought it sorry about giving everyone the wrong info on that, as far as the distance the animal will travel after I get a shot HardLoadHunter I am not sure yet, I only got to archery hunt 1 year and was not lucky enough to release an arrow I am just saying with a 7 pin SDP sight my last pin is at 65 yards sitting on the level with that weight arrow, Sorry for giving everyone the wrong impression on my arrow speed, I am glad you enjoyed the Ashby reports I feel every archer should take the time to read them. IMO, Good luck to ALL.

camosteve4colorado said:

Bigggcountry... I posted the WRONG SPEED, I shoot 186FPS with a 726gr Arrow at 65lb pull,NOT 286FPS that is what I wish I was shooting, I chronoed my bow last year when I bought it sorry about giving everyone the wrong info on that, as far as the distance the animal will travel after I get a shot HardLoadHunter I am not sure yet, I only got to archery hunt 1 year and was not lucky enough to release an arrow I am just saying with a 7 pin SDP sight my last pin is at 65 yards sitting on the level with that weight arrow, Sorry for giving everyone the wrong impression on my arrow speed, I am glad you enjoyed the Ashby reports I feel every archer should take the time to read them. IMO, Good luck to ALL.

Just reposting camosteve4colorado post for him, it was amazingly small print!

I like a mid-weight arrow that still has some good speed.  Currently shooting 507 grains @ 271 fps, 13% FOC. 

If you dont have time to range your animal but are decent at field judging distances, it sure is nice to have the flatter trajectory of a lighter arrow.  If you make a marginal shot, it sure is nice to have the extra weight of a heavy arrow to penetrate bone. 

Personally, I think 600+ grains is overkill and the risk of affecting vertical axis accuracy due to small distance misjudgements or poor form is too great. Accuracy is king, you put it in the right spot and any reasonably weighted arrow (lets just say 400g+) is going to seal the deal.  Also, at 40+ yards you are really inviting them to jump the string or otherwise get out of the way if your arrow is going less than 200fps.

I'm shooting a 408 grn arrow 302 fps with 83ftlbs of ke, blew through my goat at 75 yds, and my elk at 47 yds, and a muley in az at 96 yds. It's the sweet spot for my bow, plus I shoot a 300 spine, so less flex, holds more energy

hunt or die

I like to be in the middle, not super heavy, but still quick. Here is my setup:

2013 Hoyt Spyder Turbo
455 gr. FMJ
298 FPS

I am right around 90 lb/KE which is plenty for Elk or Deer and I am comfortable shooting out a good distance since I am close to that 300FPS mark.

509 grain injextions with 75g inserts in the front. I have it at 284 fps out of my rpm, pass throughs yes please

Depending on your draw weight something in the 450-550 grain range with a sturdy COC broadhead will be your best option.  Can you quickly kill something with a 350 grain arrow and an expandable broadhead?  You sure can but it wont be ideal and when it comes to elk hunting you should be trying to remove as many variables as possible and give yourself the best opportunity to get an exit hole.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back