Finding elk on a map???

KYElk258

Jan 22, 2018
I am new to elk hunting and am planning a elk hunt for this coming fall.  Still haven't decided on a Unit yet but we are getting closer.  My question is, once we have the Unit picked out, what are some tips to finding where elk will be in that Unit, by looking at maps?  I know scouting is the best way in finding elk, but living 18-20 hours away, this is not possible.  Any advice or tips would be great!

North/NE facing slopes about 2/3 up is a good place to start looking.
Look for a mix of aspen & pine.
But you could find them just about anywhere too

x2 on what Brad said.
To add I also really like hunting around and on burned areas.

What are some good sites to look at digital maps.  The best I have found so far is the Colorado's DOW Atlas.  It has over lay.  Is there any other maps that you use?

Both version of Google Earth are good.

The web based version is MUCH clearer than the GE Pro

earth.google.com

But it lacks some of the functionality that GE Pro has.

Yep, I'm a google maps/google earth kind of guy too.
Most of my lunch breaks are me messing around on google earth looking for new places to explore. :upthumb:

I wouldn?t worry too much about not being there to scout as things change when the season rolls around. I can find them in July easy but only had 2 encounters during last season which was my first.

Use a lot of google earth/on X and CO atlas to find places you want to go see during season. If there isn?t any sign when you make it to those landmarks/areas then go to plan B. Have a lot of plans.

Also look for hard to get to areas. One of my encounters was less than 2 miles from a road but gained 1500ft in elevation in that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site KYElk! Another thing I'll throw out there to pay attention to is roads and trails in the area. The DOW atlas will show all of these on National Forest land. If you are hunting BLM instead, you will need to check their maps out. In my experience, the majority of hunting pressure is within a 1/2 mile of any road. Get outside of that, and you are going to separate yourself from a good majority of other hunters. Elk know this as well and for that reason, I've had more success finding elk in those areas. I'm not saying elk can't be found or killed closer to the road, but in general it's a good place to start.

Other things to look for are benches (flat areas on the side of a mountain) and pinch points like saddles in between two mountain tops or peaks that cause the elk to go through there instead of another more difficult route.

Another website to check out is http://www.toprut.com. You can download a bunch of layers for your specific GMU that can be viewed on Google Earth, which can be very helpful.

big44a4 said:
If there isn?t any sign when you make it to those landmarks/areas then go to plan B. Have a lot of plans.

Also look for hard to get to areas. One of my encounters was less than 2 miles from a road but gained 1500ft in elevation in that time.

We were posting at the same time, but these are two great points. I would have a bunch of different game plans. Start at Plan A and continue on until you find elk.

The 1/2 mile I spoke about can decrease quite a bit if you find a place that's difficult to access. There was a spot like this in a unit I hunted where you literally had to go no more than a few hundred yards from a major road and you could consistently get into elk. You just had to climb up a fairly steep hill that kept folks away.

It's already been said to have  multiple points of interest, but I break them down into two categories.

I find my primary areas first. These are the areas I want to hunt if they are untouched, low pressured, and just scream to me as "elky areas".

Then I have my secondary options and these are areas I think the elk might be in if there is an army of hunters in my primary spots.

Just remember. There are no secret elk spots anymore.
If you see / find something, good chance someone else has too.

But, if you happen to do find a honey hole with elk, shut the hell up :)

Thank you all for the great information.  I will start looking at these.  I know I have a lot of work ahead of me but I am excited on working on it.  We have a group of 5 guys that are all in great physical shape.  Our plan, as of right now, is to pack in as far as we need to and set up camp for the week.  Hoping to be as mobile as we can, depending on the location of elk in the area.  We are planning on Archery hunting, possibly first week or two of season.  Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I don't know if it's possible for you to post an image of the area you want to hunt without giving the area away but if you can post a topo or aerial photo of the area without an identifying marks I would be willing to look at it and tell you where I would start. I bet others would as well.

I only hunt my home state of Idaho so if the area you want to hunt isn't in North Idaho you can send photos of the area directly to me and I would take a look at them. I probably wont sell the GPS coordinates if they look promising.  :-D

cohunter14 said:
cnelk said:
Sometimes you can even see them on GE

Found my first elk on google earth today. Pretty crazy!
I've found elk on GE, hunted the area, and killed elk in the area twice. So literally finding elk is a very good start.

6e0b27bfcad1b82e1d6198f3beb954e0.jpg

But yeah, as others have said, burn areas and thick North facing slopes are usually good elk habitat.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Can't really add more to what's been said already, North facing slopes, benches, aspens, water sources and food are things elk look for, so good luck, have fun and enjoy the whole elk camp experience.  :upthumb:

Here's some enjoying the water. Only elk I've ever found on google earth but you can normally see some good trails going to water sources.

Another good research tool is reaching out to the USFS Regional HQ to check and see if they have any maps of particular sections.

My technique is as follows:

Obtain regional forest service map or other specific to the area.  These are almost always in heavy detail and if you are able to read a topo map then you can get a good idea of what the landscape looks like.  Take notes on drainages, creeks, peaks, streams, springs etc.  Then kind of do a side by side to GE and refine the notes and locate them with a satellite view.

Then I compile my more specific notes and i'll make a call to a local FWP biologist for the unit and ask very specific pointed questions for the area.  I would ask if a certain drainage habitation, where their count location for the elk in certain areas are, how the herds held up over winter, even asking about main food sources at particular elevations as affected by forest fires/old burns etc.

Then I look at human pressure and kind of mark each and every possible entrance on GE and figure out how far I have to get off the road.  I usually look for the difficult point of entry.  Usually where we necessarily dont want to venture in the Rocky Mountains they are found.

But thats just an idea to get you started.  Besides boots on the ground a combination of compiling as much knowledge through eyes in the sky scouting and reaching out to as many as you can for the area.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back