Finding Mulies...

cohunter14

Administrator
Jul 10, 2017
I know there is somewhat of a science in finding elk and where to go in searching for them. However, what do you guys look for to find big mulies? I typically don\'t spend much time hunting just mulies as I normally chase them at the same time as elk. However, I have always been curious if guys do anything different when hunting mulies versus elk. To me, mulies are spread out and can be anywhere and everywhere and for no rhyme or reason. They will stand next to a road and stare at you, be in creek bottoms instead of up high, and can also be roaming the same benches and hidey holes that you find elk. How about you all, what are your experiences? Anything that you do different?

Can\'t find \'em at all around here ... or rarely.

Research at UW says that if current trends continue, they\'ll be extinct in SE WY by 2040. They find very few does > 4 years old, and fawn recruitment is poor. Mostly related to CWD, but it\'s not entirely clear.

Figures...that\'s all my son and I saw last year. We probably counted over 60 through Sept but 40 were opening weekend for elk.

I should have my E/S tag for a mulie this year and am probably over confident that I should be able to wrap up that hunt in an over night trip. (I\'m also taking the first mature deer I see) I\'m too new at this game to be picky.

I\'m bumping this back up just to see if anyone missed it. I know there are some people who save up years worth of points for mule deer hunts. You must have a strategy in place once you pick your hunt. What are those strategies? Where are you planning on finding the big mulies?

Anyone saving PP for a late season rifle mulie hunt should consider GMU 21
Some nice bucks that come out for the rut.

Seems to me the best way to find huge mulies is to not have a tag in your pocket! I see magnificent bucks every year but as soon as I draw a tag they seem to all vanish down a sink hole or something. Must be the odor of the ink on the tag or something.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back