First Aid in the field

GoatT

Dec 28, 2012
Although I have never had any serious injury in the field (knock on wood) I have had some minor cuts while cutting up meat and skinning. 

Has anyone had any serious injuries/wounds from out in the field? What types of precautions do you take for that moment?

I pack a small first aid kit just to be safe.

I spent many years as a field medic, as well as a medic for the air guard. I carry a small first aid kit, as well as a pack of quick clot. I also carry a small first aid / survival book. You never know when you just may need a reminder to perform a certain step, when your mind is kind of fuzzy from cold or blood loss.

No major injuries in the field here.  I keep super glue with me for many reasons, including Sealing up cuts.  I've used superglue in place of getting stitches a couple times, never up hunting but once when I was taking off broadheads at home I cut my finger pretty good and used it to seal it up.

As of right now I carry a military issue first aid kit (gauze, bandages, sling, eye dressing, and probly a few things I'm forgetting).  I think I am going to start carrying alcohol and super glue for cuts

I carry a small first aid kit too, for everyday hunting. On extended trips I beef it up with glue, suture and a bandana. Never had to use the suture but the bandana and a couple sticks made for a nice splint when my friend broke his ankle. Cuts, breaks, getting poked in the eye, etc. I like to add the bandana as it has lots of uses.

I carry an Adventure Medical Kit Ultralight .7. I upgraded the blister treatment and added quickclot. Never had a blister while hunting, but if my boots got wet and I had to hike, I would want to be able to treat them. One not so common safety device I carry is an ACR Resqlink personal locator beacon. Great piece of mind. One hand operation. I bivy hunt alone and my wife got it for me in case of a serious injury.

I carry a small first aid kit I put together that includes anitbiotic ointment, bandaids, liquid skin, gauze pads,duct tape and some pain meds.
Mostly for minor cuts and blisters. I have never needed to use it.

I recently came across a survival guide app that has a survival medicine chapter along with other chapters on shelters, water procurement, firecraft, food procurement, survival using plants, poisonous plants, desert survival, cold weather survival, expedient water crossings, etc. 

It's a great app to have just in case of any situation.  A good all around survival guide app.  I highly recommend.

GoatT said:
I recently came across a survival guide app that has a survival medicine chapter along with other chapters on shelters, water procurement, firecraft, food procurement, survival using plants, poisonous plants, desert survival, cold weather survival, expedient water crossings, etc. 

It's a great app to have just in case of any situation.  A good all around survival guide app.  I highly recommend.

Excellent tip. I took your advice and downloaded one. Great back up resource to have on hand. Thanks, GoatT.

I carry a small kit but no super glue, thanks for saying that I will add a small tube. One thing I did add after reading a horror story where a guy was gutting an elk and pulling his knife towards him and it slipped, was a small Hemostat. The knife cut into his leg and cut his femoral artery. The person he was hunting with was a nurse and actually had one with him and it saved the guys life!

I carry my law enforcement first aid kit that is in a vacuumed sealed bag.  it weighs less than a pound and it has everything to deal with from sucking chest wounds to arterial bleeds.  wouldnt leave home without it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back