First Turkey

bowhunter

Aug 26, 2015
My son shot his first turkey Easter morning. We heard some in the darkness then set up between them and a field. They flew down but stayed on the ridge behind us. We had 3 hens walk by at 25 feet but the toms wouldn\'t follow. The toms headed up toward the upper field so we headed after them. We were unable to get close so headed toward another tom gobbling a few hundred yards south. we were walking down a trail when I saw his fan over the hill. I immediately dropped to a knee and my son did the same. I told him the tom was 30yds over the hill. I said get your gun ready and sight over the hill and as you stand be ready to shoot the blue head. He slipped up and fired as the tom dropped his fan and prepared to run. The bird dropped instantly. He hit it in the head with a few BBs. The bird had a 1\" and 1 1/8\" spur and a 10.5\" beard.

Attachments

• 2014042095081332.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 406
Thanks guys... Now its my turn to try to get a bird. I didn\'t get one last year because I was trying to help him get one. Now that he has one I will try for my first tom with a bow. I have arrowed half a dozen hens durring the fall from tree stand while deer hunting but no tom yet. I am sure I could get one with the scattergun but I want the challenge of spot and stalk with a bow. Time to put some still hunting skills to work.

\"elky McElkerson\" said:
good luck.

we are all so lucky turkey cannot smell well..imagine?!! we would never even see one..hahah.

Yes with a turkeys keen eyesight and the sniffer of an elk or deer, they would be ghosts.

Congrats and good luck!

Even without being able to smell there are ghosts to me.... :)

Nice Terry congrats to your son. Its great to see the young ones getting involved.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back