Flatlanders

ROYCE1967

Jan 28, 2013
What do you flattlanders do to get ready for the mountains. Our town is little, so the bleachers are like 9 high...LOL...I did manage to find a lake damn to climb up and down...any other ideas??

If that is what you have to work with so be it. Load a pack up and do the same bleachers and damn. Start with modest weights and add weight as you go. Hopefully by summer you will be carrying 60-80lbs in your pack and asking for more. If you don't have time often to do the bleachers or damn, grab a set of heavy dumbbells and do squats as often as you can.

I live near the ohio river and we don't have a bunch of big hills. We found that we ran three days a week and would walk thru the woods with weighted packs (30-50 lbs.). we found the walks with packs did us much better at taking on the mountains in colorado. We walked between 6-10 miles by the time september rolled around.

I would look into a treadmill w/incline. Squats, lunges, sprints, leg press, and so on will help but nothing beats the real thing.

im doing crossfit and running, plus working in construction keeps me in shape also. once the snow melts im going to be running and climbing the ledge close to my house.

Elliptical, hiking through the 18” of snow we have, sit ups, lifting weights, squats. Whatever I can do to get my heart rate up.

last year I think the thing that was the most beneficial was hiking with a weighted pack, I found the longest hill I could find and hiked down, then back up.If I didn't have hills, I would look into a stepper, or Running with some sprints added in.

check out tabata training. It only takes 20 minutes and it helps you out both aerobically and helps build your strength.

Legs and lungs. Work on those and you'll be ok. The more you hurt now the less you'll hurt on the mountain.

i take the stairs.  My office is on the 14th floor and I take the stair up and down and then whenever I need to hit the head or get coffee I go down 6-8 floor and back up....Usually end up with about 50 flights a day....Combine this with the treadmill on max incline, lunges and weight training and I don't seem to have problems with the ups and downs once I hit the mtns.

Strap on your tree harness, leave the leg loops out and tie them behind you with a rope tied to a couple of tires and take off walking. Not only will this build up you lungs, but will also get your shoulders in shape for a backpack

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back