For Those Not in Colorado - Boulder Police Kill Elk and Try to Cover it up

The_Sol

Jan 3, 2013
http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_22328354/boulder-sheriff-deputys-role-elk-killing-peripheral-not
Lot's of issues with a cop shooting an elk in a residential area, not informing CO Parks & Wildlife (required BEFORE shooting an animal).  He supposedly shot the elk because it was limping and "displayed broken antlers" (Uh, yeah, like 35% of all bull elk at this time of year) . The cop calls his buddy (also a cop) who comes to the scene and puts the bull in his truck (They were overheard talking about needing a road kill tag/certificate), they take the bull to cop #2's house to process it.  All UNREPORTED to Boulder Police Dept.  Let's see if the Bouldeer PD and CO Parks & Wildlife do the right thing.
BTW, Cop #2 runs a taxidermy shop called Buffalo Peaks Taxidermy in Aurora, CO.  Maybe they should check all his current inventory for other possible wildlife violations.

I heard about this. That is nuts. I read an article on it that some people held a vigil for the elk with candles and songs and everything. I understand poaching is bad, but a vigil?

hope they get what they deserve.  the fact that they both called in sick to work, didn't use the radio to ask for the deputy's help, told two different reason for shooting the elk, and did not make a report sure makes it look like they were up to no good. they should be fired and prosecuted

MT_mulies said:
I heard about this. That is nuts. I read an article on it that some people held a vigil for the elk with candles and songs and everything. I understand poaching is bad, but a vigil?

yeah that is a little wierd.  I've heard there are a lot of wierdos in boulder, one of the reasons I don't think I'd want to live in colobrahdo.  some of the best elk hunting land is wasted on liberal yahoos and bros. a candlelight vigil? i would love to know what songs they sang.

Actually guys, since this was in Boulder, we probably have a much better chance of these twits getting fined than say in some more agrarian western slope town.  I found the vigil amusing, but these same people won't let the death of this "pet" go unnoticed. People that kick a dog get more jail time in Boulder than a beat down on a homeless guy.

Maybe some of the hippies up in Coeur D'alene, Idaho that were holding memorials for the wolves killed up here made it down to Colorado and are concentrating on the "murdered" elk for awhile.

WhitePine69 said:
Maybe some of the hippies up in Coeur D'alene, Idaho that were holding memorials for the wolves killed up here made it down to Colorado and are concentrating on the "murdered" elk for awhile.

I don't understand this sympathy for wolves thats stirred up recently.  theres been a bunch of people sending death threats to randy newberg for his OYOA wolf episode

Pathetic.  We had a isp officer in north Idaho shoot a dandy moose 4 days before the season started.  He got caught and pleaded ignorance when the taxidermist turned him in.  He basically got his hand slapped and nothing else.  You would think law enforcement officials would be held to a higher standard. 

MT_mulies said:

You know it is Boulder... :-X

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back