Gear!?!?

Blakebuilds

Jan 8, 2013
I am looking at getting into archery hunting. I need reviews or info on all the gear from bows to arrows, to broadheads, to sights, and rests. I have shot a few bows and I like the Matthew's Heli-m and the Hoyt Carbon Element. I have a 28.5" draw and can draw and shoot 70# for about an hour. Good or Bad, I just need to know more before I drop $800 - $1600 on a full set up. Thanks in advance!

IMO I think that you really cant go wrong with the major brand bows, shoot several, Buy from a good pro shop that wants to help you learn and get better. The bow is important, but quality components are almost as important. Sight, Rest, Stabilizer, Quiver, arrows....... It may seem overwhelming, but that is were a good pro shop can really help.

There are a lot of very experienced hunters here at Elk101 that have valuable opinions on all the components, check them out beforehand and go educated.

Good luck

You can look up some of this stuff on line...Try, or I'm sure you can find others.
http://compoundbowchoice.com/

I would suggest reading, then go to your nearest archery shop to shoot different bows and get a feel for them. Don't buy until you have had a chance to try multiple bows. Different shops push different bows so if you can try more than one shop ;)

Don't get sold on hype!

I agree with Mountain Bowhunter. I would also suggest shooting all the bows you can and pick what fits you. Matthews don't work for me, but Hoyt's do.

Thank's for the replies so far! I like the posts about what has worked and what hasn't, I would like some more specific details like why the Mathews didn't work and the Hoyt did. If you feel like one was better than the other why or why not. What arrows, broadheads, rests, strings, sights what worked or what didn't and why if you can put a finger on it.

The best advice I can think of is to just head to a local archery shop or store, and shoot as many as you can, as stated before.  The more you shoot the better idea you will have for feel as each company and bow is different.  I personally shoot a Hoyt, but shot many others and it felt the best to me.  Might not to the next guy and he may like a Matthews, Bowtech, or any other bow better.  With today's technologies the possibilities are pretty much endless.  As far as accessories it goes the same.  I will say if you have to pay a great deal more it is most likely worth it in most cases.  with a budge of $800-$1600 I think you will do just fine.

I will be a little more specific on what I like.
Like several others I really like the Hoyts my experience with them of the last 20 years has been a high quality product. and they build a quality bow from the entry level Charger, to the top of the line Carbons.
For a sight I have and like a Copper John dead nuts sight. it is strong, micro-adjustable, and durable, but NOT built like a tank.
I have a NAP drop away rest that is OK, but am itching to change to a QAD drop away.
My quiver hold 5-arraws, I really have the itch to upgrade to a tightspot quiver, or maybe an Octane  Deadlock Pro Quiver
I have been Shooting Carbon express arrows for 20 years, and I am very satisfied with them, but, I am not married to them.
For me, My theme is a light accurate weapon that is simple, easy to tune and stays tuned.

Blakebuilds said:
Thank's for the replies so far! I like the posts about what has worked and what hasn't, I would like some more specific details like why the Mathews didn't work and the Hoyt did. If you feel like one was better than the other why or why not. What arrows, broadheads, rests, strings, sights what worked or what didn't and why if you can put a finger on it.
I know that everyone has their own opinions, but for me i shot every bow in 3 archery shops before I made my decision.  When I shot the Matthews bows, and i shot a lot of them, they all seemed to shock my hand and were noisy.  I cant fault them on anything else, but for me they just were'nt right.  I have had 2 Hoyt's and they are smooth, quiet, and accurate.  I still think that you can get caught up in the hype of certain brands.  I dont think you will go wrong with whatever you get as long as it fits you. 

Well i shoot the Mathews Z7 extreme with Easton axis 400 arrows and Slick Trick Standards 100gr broad heads and i couldn't be happier with the set up. 

I will say it... There is no reason to drop that much coin.. Expecially for someone that is just getting into archery. I would highly recommend shooting as many bows as you can, and then make one fit your budget.
If money is not an issue.. Well, Have fun!!

spot hogg sights because they are indestructible. rip cord or qad because they are proven and trusted by many.  Hoyts shoot so well and are so dead in the hand, not to mention tough.  Mathews is just the top advertiser but they have advertised themselves into a corner. they bashed the split limb design for years and now their flagship bow is a split limb.  Kind of makes you question their bows. I don't care for the mathews grip at all either.  Love all the hoyt grips especially the side plates.  As far as arrows, I shoot eastons but have not tried any others.  I especially like the full metal jackets and the acc's.  Haven't settled on a broadhead yet.  Releases I have shot tru fire and spot hogg wiseguys.  I really like the open hook design for quick acquiring of the d loop.  hope this helps

muliefever said:
I will say it... There is no reason to drop that much coin.. Expecially for someone that is just getting into archery. I would highly recommend shooting as many bows as you can, and then make one fit your budget.
If money is not an issue.. Well, Have fun!!

I agree but there is a lot more incentive to get out and shoot when you have a nice bow sitting there staring at you.  Just like an instrument, you are much more likely to play with a nice instrument sitting there than a piece of junk that is difficult to play.  And you will be much more accurate with a good bow

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back