Gila 16a Archery Tag

wyoboy76

Apr 30, 2013
I drew a 16a new mexico archery elk tag.  Looking for some feed back, info and or pictures on this area.  Thanks

Which hunt? It all depends on the monsoons for sure this year as the Gila got less than 1/4 normal snow. About a 1/4 of it burned in the big fire last year,some real bad and will not be good hunting this year. In a few years it will be awesome. Still alot of land with elk and anywhere away from others and roads are always good in the 16's.
Hell there will be bulls a couple miles out of Reserve by the time your hunt is on,just have to get around the private.  16a is probably the 2nd best unit there. You drew a good tag and should have an awesome hunt,just pass on the 320 bulls if your going for a big one.... 8)

My tag is the second season 11-18th.  I know the rain has alot to do with the hunt.  Have you hunted this unit before?

Never hunted it for elk ,but been in there exploring.Hunted bordering unit a couple times. Have Turkey hunted in there.
I live just north of the Gila and Apache NF. Know a number of folks that have and guides and outfitters that run hunts in the 16's. It's all good elk country with lots of elk. Peak of the rut is usually last week of Sept and first of Oct. here. They'll be screaming at each other.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back