GMU 324 Montana

westbound

May 20, 2013
Hi everyone.  I recieved my general elk tag for montana in the mail last week.  Has anyone hunted 324 or 327.  Are there good numbers of elk in these areas?  Which unit is better?

both can be good, not as many elk as there used to be though.  bear population is up considerably in 324.  a few wolves scattered around 327 but, not many.

as an fyi update to your post...

yesterday, a small thunderstorm rolled through the south end of the snowcrest gravelly complex and started the "Eureka" fire, it's fairly close to the intersection of the centennial divide road and the eureka basin road. 

this effectively cancels my trip as we usually camp just across the vally from this fire.

if you do go, the elk will either go east into the madison range, or south into idaho.

Thanks Snowcrest 6.  Do you have any update on that fire?  We are heading that way next Friday.  Just wondering what to expect.  Thanks

far as i'm aware, it's out.

the local biologist said the fire kind of bounced around pretty good, leaving pockets of forage and browse so, there really shouldn't be any problems, even hunting the burn area.

pm me when you get back and let me know what you saw/shot, etc.

good luck.

- Brian

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back