GPS

Johna

Mar 16, 2018
Time to upgrade my GPS. This Garmin has a lot of miles on it. Suggestions please. Thank you

I just use my cell phone and the GAIA app.  Only $20.  That way I have my phone for pictures, video and my gps.

Hey John!
I threw it up on to the social media today. I will copy and paste the answers in here for you soon.

I'm sure some other people can chime in as well.

I use the etrax 20. It's nothing fancy, but has been great for me!

Johna, as DTP said this same question is actually on our Facebook and Instagram pages today, so you can check those out. Personally, I go the cell phone route. You can literally get free apps that work perfect and you can use them on airplane mode, so it doesn't drain your battery. OnX is helpful if you want to see who owns what property and can also switch back and forth from topo view to aerial, but otherwise a basic topo app on the phone will work great. I use Topo Maps + most of the time, but I have tried OnX too.

Here are the replies from Instagram:

thebackstrapboys@onxhunt for sure

paulrowley1Most of the time my phone. But I do carry a garmin with me just in case

utahmuliesMy phone with @onxhuntworks perfect 👌🏼

montana_elkI run onX maps on my phone. inReach Explorer for communication and backup GPS with topo. Then I keep my Garmin 64s with Onx chip as a backup in my truck👍

sambonerogersOnX is great because of the layering... but Gaia is a better in the woods IMO, because of the visibility of the maps. OnX is dark when the layers are on, and hard to see.... or maybe I just suck at using the app!!! I?ve never met a computer that liked me yet

megeepOn X all the way

radmansciteachScrapped the gps years ago for my @onxhunt app and my phone and haven?t looked back🤘

onxhunt@sambonerogers we appreciate the feedback. You can adjust the colors of each layer by going into the map layers menu, then selecting Layer Settings for any layer. In that menu, there is a transparency slider and you can turn that up so the colors are less vibrant and you can see the basemap better

twtibbitts@onxhunt has been a game changer for us. 👍

sambonerogers@onxhunt thanks for the response. I?ll check this out. I have found several top secret areas for this fall thru ONX... muuuuaahhhhhh!!!

initialascentUsing @onXhunt more and more every time we go out. Definitely leaving the traditional GPS unit home mostly these days. Great work guys! Keep it up!

elkhunter1_OnX is the only one I use. It's great!

nor_cal_hunterI?ve got a garmin but just recently downloaded @onxhunt and have been playing around with that and I think I?ll be using it from now on. I may carry the gps for a backup though

ensleykyle@sambonerogers for which species? We may have to talk about this fall. Hehehe

jgrossetete1176Garmin keep it simple

wesmenteleGarmin rhino. Has radio and peer positioning. Has been a great help in the past, especially if you split up from hunting group.

anthonyarhI just bought the @garminfishhunt InReach mini to cut weight. It connects to my phone and shares GPS location on the Garmin app. I primarily use @onxhunt on my iPhone for boundary lines. As a backup, I print a map on waterproof paper.

bud_warnerStarted using @onxhunt last year and my garmin never left my pack

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back