Harder to kill bulls or gobblers?

huntelk1

Jan 2, 2013
I've been chasing both for a long time and I think sticking turkeys is tougher.  Hunting them is so similar,  I just can't wait for turkey season!

I have hunted turkeys a lot longer than elk. I have been in some great turkey patches and had several gobblers talking and responding. Seems pretty easy at times.
With my limited elk time it's a hard call for me, since I have never been in an area that had the number of elk, like I have turkeys.
I also never physically trained an entire year for turkey hunting, just so I could get to where I could kill one. For me I would have to say elk are harder to kill due to the total amount of effort put into making it happen. Turkeys are alot easier to carry out also...

Finding turkey is easy in the broken patchwork of farms and woods where i live, almost any patch of wood has turkeys within earshot. Hunting turkey in the northern "Big woods" "mountains" of PA is a lot closer to Elk hunting.

Calling in turkey for me can be as frustrating as elk: hang ups, strutting just out of range, Gobbling as the walk away.
Elk are physically more demanding.

I think if you were hunting turkey with a bow without a blind they may be tougher. You can't get away with any movement with a turkey.

Elk are more physically demanding, and quite a bit more scarce than the turkey population where I hunt turkeys.

My vote goes for bulls harder than gobblers, but reserve the right to change my mind this spring when a boss gobbler makes me want to pull my hair out.

i can say turkey are challenging trying to get an arrow in the sweet spot... ive harvested alot of turkeys with a bow and now the quest for that elk awaits me this fall....agree with you guys on phisically challenging for elk terrain, living in ky is alot of flat ground...if a turkey could smell thaat would be the challenge.....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back