Head Lamp

Rich Z

Dec 29, 2012
I'm looking at getting a new head lamp. What would you guys suggest? A good friend recommended that i get one that uses AA batteries so I dont have to carry different sizes in my pack. I figured I'd ask the experts....lol

I have used one made by PETZL for years now and love it. There are a ton of them out there now but mine has never failed me. I did buy a second one as a backup and carry it in my daypack just in case (you never know). Mine uses the AAA batteries, I don't care if I have to carry both AA and AAA in my pack (my radio used the AA).

I have used a Black Diamond Storm for quite a while with no complaints. I might try one of the Zebra lights here shortly, the gear head in me just can't be satisfied with what I have I guess.

Energizers headlamp is superb. Half the price of the fancy ones and I prefer it hands down. My favorite is the 6 led with the red lights for nights when you want to keep your eyes protected a bit more.

For the past couple of years I used a Petzl and had good luck, I picked up one at the 101 event last summer and for a cheap headlight that thing has been great! I threw it in the pack last season as a backup in case the petzl crapped out and while packing out my buddies bull in the dark got a chance to use it and it lit up the world- I can check the brand when I get home it you would like

Princeton Tec Apex.  I love mine.  runs on AA. super bright. and very user friendly.  one button controls main beam modes and the other controls side led bulbs

I have been looking too. I use a cabelas one with led and it has worked well. I hate how it's a push on/off. It's always coming on in my pack. I even bought a case thinking that would help but it hasn't. My next will be a switch for sure

Chad44 said:
I have been looking too. I use a cabelas one with led and it has worked well. I hate how it's a push on/off. It's always coming on in my pack. I even bought a case thinking that would help but it hasn't. My next will be a switch for sure

that's just one of the reasons i like the apex.  one switch controls modes on the mainbeam while the other controls modes on the side (flood) bulbs.  not to mention it's bright as hell and the range is ridiculous

There are a ton of headlamps out there now. You just need to try one or two but just make sure you get one that is comfy and that you can move around well with, like if you need were working on a down elk. The last thing you need is to have a headlamp that keeps falling off because it's to heavy when you lean over ;)

I have used Petzel since it was issued to me in Afghanistan, and I have also used Princeton tech. I would purchase either one, and not worry about them. I always carry a back up, and try to get electronics that use the same batteries. Check out camofire.com, they often have the Princeton tech on sale. Check out the 70 lumen.

Any time you can restrict devices to the same type of battery, it is a good decision.  If you're in the market for a new head lamp and you are already carrying a device which uses AA batteries, I would at least explore head lamps that use AA.

That being said, I have another point regarding head lamps:  Don't damn yourself to carrying only one.  The old adage, "It's better to have it an not need it than to need it and not have it," goes a long way in this context.

Mountain Bowhunter said:
Princeton Tec Apex.  I love mine.  runs on AA. super bright. and very user friendly.  one button controls main beam modes and the other controls side led bulbs

Thumbs up on this one. I have the extreme (maybe a little much) and I love it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back