Heading to CO - Question Public vs. Private Land

BT57PA

Apr 16, 2020
First time to Colorado later this year and spending time scouting different units and I have a question about crossing through private land. There are many instances where there are trails on Onx that cross through designated private land boundaries. Are these trails accessible to use  to get back into the National Forest? I have cross referenced the same trails and they show on the Forest maps as well. Even some trail heads are right off the road then head straight into private property.

The short and complicated answer is yes and no. It completely depends on the private land. Some landowners have given permission to use their land as an access point and others haven't.

I have ran into both types of private owners in the past, the ones that yell at you even when you're on public, and the ones that will let you use their access any time.

I assume all private, trails/roads or otherwise, is inaccessible which unfortunately means a lot of public is also inaccessible. The only private right of way I feel confident in relying on without having laid eyes on it is county roads.

The best thing to do is figure out which trails you need information on and call the local National Forest office to ask them. They should be able to give you a more definitive answer.

That was next next move was to call the local the forest contact for the area. I was going to wait to see if we drew for that area before i did that so not to waste their time. May need to start from scratch if we don't.
What about if it says CO Rd 44 or CO Rd 802? I would assume that is a public road but do not want to make that assumption. I "drove" up to this road with Google maps and some roads are posted and others are not.
Also did not know that ONX has an offroad app for an additional charge.
I know here in the East people put up signs trying to keeping folks out even though the lands are public. That is where Onx comes in. Thanks

BT57PA said:
Also did not know that ONX has an offroad app for an additional charge.
I know here in the East people put up signs trying to keeping folks out even though the lands are public. That is where Onx comes in. Thanks

Yup, same happens in CO. Onx has helped a bunch, but sometimes it doesn't really matter to the LO and it becomes a huge hassle.

I believe that you are correct on your question, roads named CO ### are usually a county road.

Just be careful with county roads. Even those can be private if the road goes into private land.

An easy way to see if a road is open or not if it's in the national forest is to use Colorado's hunt atlas, which can be found here: https://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas

In the Map Layers, click the box that says Motor Vehicle Use Map and it will show you any roads that are actually open to travel and will also show you what kind of travel it's open to, like vehicles or ATV only.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back