Help Me Close the Deal

mjblowers

Aug 8, 2013
I've posted this on another forum and was referred here.... but here's my issue, and I'm sure it's nothing new.

For three years now, I'll go out early in the morning, about 4 AM, get to a spot and wait until morning starts to break and blast a first bugle. If I get a reply within 5 minutes or so, I generally reposition and move about 100 yards and then bugle back, with the occasional cow call. If I don't hear a bugle, I just continue to walk in deeper and deeper until I do, and then proceed to wait while I call. Now, this USED to get the bulls to come in to about 100-200 yards, but NEVER would I get my eye on the actual beauty. I would just eventually hear a fading bugle as they kept going farther and farther away.

That was 4 years ago, and happened like that for two years. Now, and call me stupid, but where I hunt the wolves are just becoming thick as snot and I'm RARELY getting a bugle.  Whether the two correlate with one another, I have no idea, nor do I really care, I'm not here to debate that. What I'm getting instead is the elk coming in quiet, IF AT ALL. I have heard only a handful of bugles in the past two years in my same spots, as apposed to the endless screams throughout the days. Even still, I have switched primarily cow calling, and haven't been hearing much, only getting one big boy to come crashing in, only to never get closer than 100 yards.

HOW DO I CLOSE THIS GAP? Do I need to be able to bugle like a pro to do this thing? I know I'm quiet as a mouse, and hidden well (got a wolf with a bow and have had several close encounters) I've also passed on one Cow during that span... I JUST DON'T GET IT. The only thing that I'm 100% sure I struggle with is : Wind and Bugling. The wind, I don't know how anyone can deal with. It seems to swirl and switch directions constantly. The bugling... yeah... I need to learn mouth reeds.

If this information helps: I hunt Idaho. Generally I hunt in the McCall zones 23/24. I'm switch to the Sawtooth zones (33/35) because of my four wolf encounters last year. I try to go where no motorized access. I walk in fairly far. Full ASATcamo. Sometimes I hunt with Cow scents sometimes without. I try to keep human smells away from close at camp.  Also - I hunt solo most of the time.

First, I am no pro but ill tell you what has worked for me.  1.  Decoys, i use a rear end decoy (small, light and easy to set up, Montana decoys brand) and i have seen this thing pull in at least 3 bulls, one 350 bull and two smaller heard bulls.  They will walk right up to it and sniff it.  When you move towards the bugle set up the decoy then move so the decoy is 50-60' behind you. Make your calls, if the bull gets within 100' of the decoy you have a 50' shot.  2. Get aggresive, if they wont come to you, go after them.  Some bulls will tolorate quite a bit of rukus before being scared off.  Close the gap, just keep the wind with you (as best you can) and try not to let him see you.  If you cant see him he probably cant see you.  Go get him!
Best of luck.

Wolves have entered my area in Oregon as well. Last year the spot where they have historically screamed all day was much quieter. They were still there but only doing low , growly bugles.you can hear them if you listen very closely. My theory is that the low tone doesn't travel as far and the wolves won't be able to locate them as easily.

So the only lingering thought I have is elevation difference between you and the bull.  I always try and get a bead on wind direction, and then get at the same elevation as the bull on the hillside and begin the pursuit from the wind-happy side of the bull.  I've had hot bugling bulls stay about 100-200 yards away for the simple fact that they wanted to stay up above me, or the inverse, avoid running up the hill.  My success rate with calling bulls in has been greatest when I go at them from the same elevation.  Not sure if that will help in your scenario, but I've seen it make a huge difference in my own hunts.  Also, like it has been mentioned, if it's open country, a decoy can really make the difference. 

mjblowers,

You describe what is plaguing many parts of Idaho. I hunt up north and when wolves are present, the bulls clam up and tip toe around. When this happens, I pull camp and head 10-20 miles to the next spot.

Having bulls lock up like you described is do to playing it a little too safe.  :) Once you hear that bull bugle and pin point him, you have to close the gap and get into his red zone- within a hundred yards, and then challenge him when he answers your cow call. Passive cow calling, will many times result in bulls sneaking in down wind. You have to play on the bulls emotions an rouse him into fighting.

Personally i haven't carried a bugle in quite a few years. I think they can be effective in located bulls and perhaps pulling bulls away from their cows before they come into estruss. (before Sept 15th). Most bulls will just round up their cows a take them away from your bugle once the cows are become ready to breed. Then after most cows breed the bulls will still be bugle shy because they are tired and beat up. So with that said i would suggest using your bugle to locate and then try closing the distance quietly and try to slip in undetected. Try to stalk in from above the elk and pay attention to the wind and thermals. Go in slow but not too slow because the wind normally won't stay good for an extended period of time. I hope that will help you this fall.

kind of the same a mentioned, you need to get close first and then aggressive  bugle ,the idea is to piss that bull off and make him want to fight, and even if you scar him into leaving in most cases the bull will circle around his cows to herd them up as they take off and if your close the bull will likely make a pass by you before taking off. And yes 2 things that will make bulls quiet is wolfs and excessive amount of people bugling at them you can only fool a bull so many times and they will learn .

Always in the field I hear the cheerleading chant... "Be aggressive...B....E....AGGRESSIVE!" By doing so you'll have a better chance at closing the deal for sure.

If the elk is bugling don't even set up to call until you can almost see him.  If you are hanging back a couple hundred yards that's asking a lot.  If you can sneak within range without calling do it.

I agree that being aggressive is a big plus. the first couple years i was a passive type hunter/caller. it resulted in a lot of hangups. (i finally killed my first bull last year after 3 cows before that) keep in mind that being aggressive has to translate to other areas of your elk game and not just calling! being aggressive can mean dogging the herd when they are moving away until you get close enough to challenge him. being aggressive can mean sneaking in on a bull and killing him without calling at all. sometimes aggressive action speaks louder than elk words from a call. being aggressive means a lot of different sounds and actions and when combined makes for a deadly elk hunter imo. as a lone hunter and still early in my elk killing career, i have tailored my hunting style to be aggressive in almost everything i do in the elkwoods and it's netting more and closer opportunities.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back