Hiking Boots vs Hunting Boots

Outdoorfaucette

Aug 10, 2018
I am pretty new to hunting and have only gone out when someone else had a tag. This year I got my first tag. Prior I was using just some crappy boots that I was given. This year we will probably be backing around for the 4 days. I am looking to get new boots for this years trip.  I am curious what people recommend for their feet.  Is there a difference between hiking and hunting boots? Any other things I should look for in a good boot?

It would help us with some suggestions if you told us what price range you?re looking at, as there are a million options and price seems to be the biggest selection factor for most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of terrain will you hunting in? The best recommendation I can give for that price range is to go and try on some and get the best support and comfort you can find. Being that you will be essentially living in these for 4 days or more I may reevaluate what you?re spending on other gear and try to up that budget some as your boots are the most crucial part of gear besides your pack. Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The biggest thing to do is go try on as many as you can. You might find that a less expensive boot fits you better than a more expensive one, but the only way to know is to try them on. Depending on what season you are going, you may want to get something with thinsulate as well (mid Oct or later hunt).

I think a lot of hunters do not do anything to toughen their feet. I like to walk barefooted on a paved road and toughen the soles. This helps to prevent blisters and hot spots. At least I have not had any since doing this. If you have weak ankles then a higher boot may be a better option but I like hiking boots that are lower. I wear Murrell hiking boots and those can be purchased around the $100 mark. I had a guy tell me once that I must not be hunting hard enough, to wear Murrell boots, because they wont last. I wore one pair for several years until the soles started pulling loose. I bought some shoe goo and repaired them. Most comfortable boot I have but they are not for everyone. Some folks like a boot that feels like a foot cast and are very rigid.

Since you're new to hunting, you should be able to find something in the $100 range at a local store. No need to drop senseless $$$ if you decide it aint for you.

There's not much difference between a hunting/hiking boot. I think a true hiking boot is shorter than your typical hunting boot.

Look for a boot 8" in height, maybe 400g thinsulite, it can be leather or Goretex [I prefer non-insulated leather]

They key is to wear them A LOT before you go hunting. Get them broke in with the socks you will be wearing hunting

Another boot to consider in that price range is Cabela's Iron Ridge.  They range from $110-130 depending on the level of insulation you choose.  For my feet, they have been quite comfortable and needed very little break in time.

For me living in Montana it depends on the weather. I am looking at my weather app on my phone all the time. I wear what I think will be the right boot for the weather conditions. We have 3 seasons in Montana fall, summer and winter.

Cnelk & nclonghunter make very good points. Whatever you end up getting.. Hike in them with a LOADED pack first. As much as possible prior to going out. No matter how nice a boot you get your feet need to "toughen up" or you'll be sore as heck when you actually get out there. Also you'll be breaking them in proper while doing that. Soo important. I'm a fan of the Danner Pronghorn 400s. A little more than your budget but not by much. They're decent value in my opinion. Bowhunter65 is quite right too. Depends on the conditions/season. Those Prongs are perfect for me early season CO.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back