Homemade target

usmcvet

Jul 8, 2013
Hoping this season to trade my homemade, life-size bull for his twin roaming the Rockie Mountains.  Looking forward to another year chasing wapiti.  Good luck to all my fellow hunters.

Attachments

• IMG_5153.JPG
    IMG_5153.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 20
jvanhoy said:
Care to put on here how to? Thanks
Absolutely.
It's made from standard burlap you get from a fabric store. I bought mine at JoAnn's Fabrics. There are different widths available - 60" I believe is the widest. You want to have it so its 8'x8'. From nose to tail the bull is just under 8' & from hoof to top of the antler it's just under 8'. In order to get that size you need to combine two together. I used a 60" & a 48". If you're handy with needle & thread you can sew it or just take some Gorilla glue & glue them together. You only need about a 2" overlap to glue & once it dries it's not coming apart. Of each you only need 3 yards (9 feet). This should give you roughly 108" x 108", more than plenty for a life size bull. The extra material I used to sew back into it creating a loop to feed my PVC or EMT framing through. Once again sewing can be replaced with glue. You also don't have to create loops. You can also glue down the excess material creating a double backing around the edges and put grommets on it similar to a tarp that way it could be strung between two posts or trees.
As for the elk itself, I have access to an LCD projector so I plugged it into my computer & projected the picture of a bull elk. I walked the LCD projector back until the image had a top of shoulder to brisket measurement of 30". Dining this will give you the life size proportion of a bull elk. At this point it's simply about tracing. I even traced the shaded areas to when I painted it, it was kind of like paint by numbers. I used 4 colors: tan, dark brown, black & white. I used exterior paint. You can ask for a sample at the big box stores because they're small & cheap. Use your picture as a guide to help you paint. Lastly, behind it I draped a piece of black poly or a tarp can be used. This prevents light coming through. I have a foam target propped behind it in vital area. Keep your target pressing slightly up against the burlap. If you shoot the area out just cut a pice of burlap to more than cover the area apply it from the back using spray ache use & you have a brand new vital area.
Altogether, it cost me under $50 for burlap & paint.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back