Hunting hungry

COelkaholic88

Jan 4, 2013
I had read an article last year that described the scenario of hunting on an empty stomach. In that article it stated the way predators like mountain lions tend to hunt when their stomachs are empty. It also stated that hunting on an empty stomach helps revive the natural instinct of predation and makes us more aware of our surroundings to be more successful on the hunt to fill the stomach. Common sense tells me that's shooting yourself in the foot. You need to have the energy to walk for hours on end. However, I do recall a couple hunts where I had little to eat and was still able to focus and harvest an animal. What's your thought on this idea?

I am of the opinion I am ready to hunt with or without a full stomach. I don't know if I buy the thought of hunting on a hungry stomach because you need enough energy to keep you going not only during the hunt but especially after you tag an animal. I don't think starving myself will help me find anymore of a killer instinct than I already have.

I think hunting while hungry provides you with extra motivation and probably forces you to sharpen your focus or concentrate more due to the stakes being higher.
However as previously mentioned hunting while starving would probably have an adverse affect.

I suppose it is probably not fair to compare an animals eating habits with a humans as I'm sure they are quite a bit different.

Like has been said it may have some impact but you need the energy food gives you. I will say when I have hunted after a big meal I tend to have a harder time being focused on my hunt. I tend to eat quite a bit less while I am hunting then I normally do, but plenty to give me the energy I need. Wether it brings out my natural instinct, but I do feel better and more focused.

I am on my game either way.But in my area my hunt usually starts with  the first 2 miles up steep hill.can climb up 2 to 3k feet in elavation in 30 min and  if I eat first it makes me want to give it back up if you know what i mean.I usually eat after im up top and spotting.

Use to keep hunting no matter what but now I'm not able to. I need to have food in my system since I have Type 2 Diabetes. I know how my body reacts so I always have something on me to eat.

I'm a big guy and burn a TON of calories hunting, and I have a hard time making sure I'm eating enough.  However, I've been busted several times eating my lunch and was forced to watch elk walk by me with a PB&J stuffed in my mouth and my bow 5 feet away.  So I wish in those moments that I decided to starve myself.

ya don't know about that that would be tough I think I would need something in my gut even if it was just a little bit which that's what I prefer just enough to keep going

You need something in your stomach for energy unless your hunting elk that are chained up next to a bale of hay.  I to seem to attract elk once I'm having a snack as well,  however once you break contact with elk and they haven't got your scent I have went back to were it all started and by the time you eat something they usually circle back to you.  At least that has happened a few times can't say it's fool proof.

Start off with a empty stomach. Then a few Granola bars,and jerkyduring the day to keep me going. Works..

Eat high energy foods and eat less, would be my take. Native Americans would carry jerky, parched and pounded corn that could sustain them for days/weeks. I have also done this while reenacting 18th century journeys for several days. You keep enough to keep you moving, but not as much as you think you need. Water is the most important.

I can't say that I have ever get hungry while hunting. I stop often to listen, drink and eat.

I cant say i have ever hunted hungry.  After a long day of hunting i end up really hungry but i dont think that i will even try it.  I'm pretty satisfied with hunting after eating.

I can follow the concept of hunting on an empty stomach. Its like going to the grocery store on an empty stomch. Everything looks good and you want to take it all home even if you don't really like something haha. So with an elk, natural instincts could kick in and because your body needs the nutrition you might want to harvest the animal more. Having said that I don't ever want to be hungry in the woods while hunting. Food is to good to pass up haha.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back